• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck in 4 low

danger03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok we got snow down here in Alabama for the first time in years. So i went out riding because i new the trails were going to be real muddy and sloppy. I but my truck in 4 low to go down a a long hill. I got to the bottom and but it back in 2wd. It did not swap over. I could turn my switch back in forth from 2wd, 4high, and 4low and it just stayed in 4low. I road the rest of the tripe in 4low. I tried backing up and everything ti can think of to get it out. When we got done riding it just when in to 2wd while i was about to get on the road. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it. And is there a conversion to have a floor shifter for the 4wd instead of the switch? because i do not like the switch.Thanks for all your help in advance.

The truck is:
Auto
stock

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Hit the shift motor with a hammer, when I still had a push button t-case I had that happen, hitting the motor with a hammer worked and it never stuck again. You do have it in neutral right?

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Did you step on the brake,shift the trans to neutral, and then switch it to 4HI or 2WD ??

danger03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I always stop when i put it in 4wd low or high. But i do not put it in neutral when i swap to high. I do when i go in low. Do i need to go into neutral everytime i swap it to either? I have always used floor shifters. i am new to the switch and push button.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Be careful hitting it with a hammer, you can shatter the magnets.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I always stop when i put it in 4wd low or high. But i do not put it in neutral when i swap to high. I do when i go in low. Do i need to go into neutral everytime i swap it to either? I have always used floor shifters. i am new to the switch and push button.
You only need neutral when swithing in or out of low range.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Like Hahnsb2 said, the transmission has to be in nutral ( I don't remeber if park will work or not), or the clutch depressed in order to go to or from 4-low. 2wd to 4high or 4high to 2wd, you can do at what ever speed or gear as long as you are going perfectly straight.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
To clarify, the transmission needs to be in neutral for automatics, or the clutch down in manuals (neutral is irrelevant for that case), to switch between 4HI and 4LOW. You can switch between 4HI and 2HI while driving. I wouldn't suggest doing it on a tight turn, but driving 45 MPH straight ahead works fine.

I'll guess that what happened was that you waited until you were on pavement to put it in 2WD. You can do that ONLY if you don't turn the steering wheel. Once you do, you'll wind up the driveline. There is nothing you can do short of jacking up one of the front wheels (or otherwise making it slip) to release the tension once it is in there.

If this is what happened, no repairs are needed. It's normal for part-time 4WD to do that.

Barney0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
You have to be stopped, in neutral, and have your foot on the brake to shift in or out of 4 low

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals