• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Street sign skid plates

wowko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ive got some old street signs laying around from a day when i was a bit younger and a bit dumber. think i could repurpose them and use them as skid plates? thinking of maybe reinforcing the big sections of plate with rebar or something.

obviously ill have shiny side out so nobody can see the ugly other side

what im asking is would such thin aluminum hold up? maybe two pieces thick? thanks

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
It depends man on where you wheel .. The street sign is to thin to use a skid plate use something like 3/16" or 1/8"..

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
ill have shiny side out so nobody can see the ugly other side
i remember seeing on tv somewhere, or in a magazine or something. there was a guy that had a rock-buggy where all of the body panels were street signs.....sign side out

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
maybe as a "skid plate" to keep brush from getting stuck in places you dont want or for looks (if thats your deal). but i would say it wouldnt work as a real skid, way too thin.

SpeedNinja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
My dad and his friends used to do that back in the day. The aluminum was ridiculously strong (don't know how thick) and had to be scored before it could be bent. The newer signs must be crap.

Anyways, it's probably a better idea to the the sign side hidden. That whole thing about stolen government property... yeah...

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anyways, it's probably a better idea to the the sign side hidden. That whole thing about stolen government property... yeah...
Ah yes, what a wonderful invention spray paint is... :icon_twisted:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
i have a old speed limit sign as my tranny tunnel in my b2. works great, but its not where it gets smashed by rocks all the time.

use angle iron, strap, tube (square or round) or channel, but not rebar!!!!!

wowko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yea ill actually end up using angle irons lol not rebar. its not to protect much, mostly my gas and brake lines, everything else is already out of the way. should work ok with a bit of reinforcement i think

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Too thin for skid use. Seen guys run them on the front of their pre-runners but i never understood why because they are so ridiculously thin they do next to nothing other than re-direct air.

Get your self some 3/16" min or 1/4" steel plate if you want skids. Remember, an RBV can weigh close to 4k with gear and add ons.

Plus, you have to rivet or use sheet metal screws on your aluminum signs, which aren't going to hold up to any amount of deformation. That is unless you can tig weld...

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
It would probably be great as a brush guard to keep rocks and junk out of unwanted places, but if you plan on jumping your truck or doing serious hardcore wjeelin, I would go for half inch steel

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would probably be great as a brush guard to keep rocks and junk out of unwanted places, but if you plan on jumping your truck or doing serious hardcore wjeelin, I would go for half inch steel
um.... half inch is a little over kill. that would be crazy!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
um.... half inch is a little over kill. that would be crazy!
My thoughts too, 1/8" or slightly thinner would be my choice. Aluminum doesn't like sliding, it gouges/grabs easily.

Richard

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My thoughts too, 1/8" or slightly thinner would be my choice. Aluminum doesn't like sliding, it gouges/grabs easily.

Richard
1/8" is way too thin for any kind of under-body skid plating, it will just taco on you and damage other stuff. Notice the stock transfer case skid plate is 1/8" and even has bends incorporated into it to give it rigidity. Also notice you can't put a jack underneath that stock skid plate and jack your vehicle up without it bending upward.

If its load bearing, it has to be minimum 3/16" but 1/4" would be better. Geometry of the skid plays a huge role on how strong it will be.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1/8" is way too thin for any kind of under-body skid plating, it will just taco on you and damage other stuff. Notice the stock transfer case skid plate is 1/8" and even has bends incorporated into it to give it rigidity. Also notice you can't put a jack underneath that stock skid plate and jack your vehicle up without it bending upward.

If its load bearing, it has to be minimum 3/16" but 1/4" would be better. Geometry of the skid plays a huge role on how strong it will be.
This is true. I'd be using some type of reinforcing on the back of the plate. I used 1/8 plate for the top of my front shocks, they haven't bent yet, but I did reinforce the 'back' side;
Top plate and plate stiffeners being welded;

Richard

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I personally only use 1/4" on my main stuff, but for the front clip where theres too much important stuff, I use 1/2" just to be safe. Still need to get my gas tank plated, I've waited too long for that o_O.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals