• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headers for 2.3?

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is there a such thing?
I've had my 94 Ranger for 2.5 years and haven't been able to find any for it!:dunno:

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
You truck already has a short factory tube header. They are pretty hard to beat for stock. The factory header will outflow you cylinder head anyway, so no real need to upgrade.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
if you are feeling adventurous you can make your own Tri-y. do a google search for tri-y headers...... there was a link floating around on the old site that had the theory and instruction for a tri-y header.

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks ya'll i'll prob just wrap them with heat tape and bypass the catilitic conv. and put a delta 50 series on it and call it a day on the exhaust.. have a intake with ahuge k&n filter on it, looking for a throtle body spacer too but not sure if they're effective or just hype.
Do they realy work?
also what other cheap upgrades can i do...coil packs, fuel filter, any little thing? and where do i look to buy them. I like the gas milage so i don't think i'll ever do a engine swap. just keep this one going as long as possible.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
why are you going to by-pass the cat? It is a myth that you get more power with it out. Fact it you need the cat to make back pressure, you need back pressure to make torque, you need torque the launch the truck from the light.

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
K --that makes sense. But then why do ppl do it so often.. i knew it caused back fireing if you didnt have back pressure and i have seen may vehichles ran w.o them..i even gutted the one for my eclipse and it seemed to help it.

Can you explain alittle more plz? i'm really not wanting to mess up my truck

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When a cat fails it plugs up the exhaust which causes your vehicle to run bad. The cat is only supposed to last 100,000 miles. If your vehicle has more miles than that you may want to get the cat replaced with an aftermarket one. Bigger than 2" exhaust will do you no good unless you increase the intake flow. A better muffler won't hurt.
I have seen factory cats last as much as 300,000 miles+.
A full length header will gain performance and there are many companies out there making them, if you can't find one you are not looking very hard. The problem is that without increasing the intake flow the gains would be negligable.
Check out www.esslingeracing.com . they have tons of good info on the 2.3/2.5 engines.

Last edited:

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
K...thanks.... so i've got a huge filter on it ran all the way to the bottom of the header panel so its getting lots of cold air...i'm going to heat wrap the headers to cut back some heat out of the engine bay, get a new cat (high flow?), and a new muffler, retain the stock pipes
and i hear throttle body spacer's really don't do alot to certain engines...any body have any luck with one on a 2.3...
what about ignition systems..msd, coil packs, ect???
I'm pretty good at simple things like that.... i took the A/C off and am getting a H/O alt for the stereo system
think a elec water pump or fan would help any???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals