• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L 5spd to 2.3 turbo 84 mustang swap?

Heinriech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am getting a 2001 ranger with a 2.5L 5spd. I would like to put a 2.3 turbo from an 84 mustang in the truck.

Will 2.3 truck mounts work in the truck configured for a 2.5?
What needs done to the trans mount to accomidate the t-5? Just slid back and redrilled?
What wiring interfaces will need made from the ECU harness to the chassis harness?
What rear is this truck equiped with? Is an 89 8.8 the same width as the 01?
Will the stock driveshaft interface with t-5? If not can I swap t-5 slip yoke to the stock driveshaft?

Any other thoughts, recommendations, suggestions, or jokes for this swap are welcome.

Thanks
Jason

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it all can be done, but unless u have never done a project of this magnitude b4 i would suggest just puttin up with the 2.5 or goin to a 6cyl

Heinriech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it all can be done, but unless u have never done a project of this magnitude b4 i would suggest just puttin up with the 2.5 or goin to a 6cyl
Yeah it definatly seems like a lot of work for a little bit of gain. I think I will be happy with the 2.5 and drive the cobra when I need a fix for speed!

Thanks!

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1- not sure but i think so.
2- yes the rivets have to be ground off and trans x-member needs to be moved a few inches forward.
3- i would just use the 99's computer system on the 84 motor and tune it with some sort of tuning software and tuner. you would have to add some sort of distributorless system to the 84 motor though. that could be pirated off the 2.5 i think.
4- i believe the newer 8.8 with disks is 1.5 inches wider than the 8.8 with drums. which do you have?
5- yes the stock driveshaft works perfectly with the t-5

and honestly i think this swap would be easier than a v-6 swap with whole lot more power/power potential.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
engine mounts, yes 2.5 is just a bored and stroked 2.3l, so the mounts will work, for T5 slide back or make a 1/4 1/2 inch thick plate extention. from the crossmember to the tranny, might hit Rangerpowersports up for wiriing few guys on there have the 2.3 turbo with obdII the 89 ranger 8.8 will bolt into the 01.

the driveshaft, may have to shorten or lengthen it, not sure on the slip yoke, if you have to use the T5 slip yoke just use a spicer joint(worse case senario) with it and the 2001 ranger shaft.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
when i swapped in the t-5 it was exactly the right length at the M50D and T-5 were the same length. the splines on the ranger yoke and t-5 output shaft matched up perfectly as well. the shifter was 9 inches farther back though. amd the tranny mount was moved forward, not back. with that, there can be the issue of the x-member brackets bumping into the parking brake bracket, at least on the 88 frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals