• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to get your Drivers seat to move all the way up

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a super cab like mine (1994 so I don't know who all this applies too) , From the factory, the drivers seat won't slide as far forward as the passenger seat even though the rails are the same length. To fix this, remove the little metal bracket that holds the seat belt slider to the seat, and the cable mounted in the same area. then use a spring or small bungy to keep the seatbelt sliding forward with the seat. Your drivers seat will move forward about 4 more inches to let you put your stuff or people in with out walking around the truck. Hope this helps

AngloSaxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool, thanks

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What about for an 87 Supercab?

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
No shit, I'll have to do this to my b2 seat. It drives me nuts when I try to move the seat up and it won't go.

lbreevesii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, and possi
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
well I was halfway there. I gotta go finish it.

cubg1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Why this happens

Huh, I read this and laughed because I use to have the same problem and it drove my Fiance nuts. I actually thought she was going to rip the seat out of the truck once when it wouldn't slide forward for her. I finally found that the problem is caused by the bracket you are referring to. As the seat slides forward, it binds on the secondary rail that the seatbelt mount slides on, and this prevents the entire seat from moving. I had tried everything including greasing the secondary rail before breaking it free out of anger one day :icon_idea: (but it fixed the problem). Good find!

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Wow you don't even know how much you just helped me with that one. I have a decent sized tool box that I keep behind the seats of my extended cab Ranger and it's just wide enough to the point where I could only get it out through the passenger side, so every time I took it out I had to walk around to the passenger side to get it. I would have never thought that the problem could have been solved so easily!

Todd~Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
This is something i will be doing, i hate that i cant more the seat ahead to get things out of the drivers side.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Be right back.. I'm gonna go check this out.

--Edit--

Couldn't find what you were talking about.. might be a 93-94 difference? Anyway, my passenger seat goes maybe 2 inches farther than my drivers side. And the seat belt's not attached.. its on the floor.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No.

There is a small restraining cable under the seat track that limits the travel of the upper track relative to the lower.

REMOVE that cable by disconnecting it at both ends and discarding it.

DO NOT modify the seatbelt track setup or the seatbelt will not
function as designed. if that FIXED bracket (it's welded to the NON movable part of the seat track) isn't there the seat belt
won't "Grab" in a collision.

You see that plastic coated rail is a bit more than meets the eye.

Underneath the plastic cover (which can slide off)
the metal rail is a large "sawtooth" shape
In a collision the sudden jerk of impact causes that slide mount arraingement to rotate forward and a round pin at the back shatters the plastic cover so it can be "Captured" by the rail

Unbolting ANY of the fasteners in the seat belt system converts it from a functional safety device into a Fictional safety device.

The passenger side seat has an IDENTICAL arraingement
yet that seat travels....

Like I said there is a little four inch long STEEL cable with a crimped on eye at either end and it's SCREWED to the two
halves of the seat track.

AD

If you have a super cab like mine (1994 so I don't know who all this applies too) , From the factory, the drivers seat won't slide as far forward as the passenger seat even though the rails are the same length. To fix this, remove the little metal bracket that holds the seat belt slider to the seat, and the cable mounted in the same area. then use a spring or small bungy to keep the seatbelt sliding forward with the seat. Your drivers seat will move forward about 4 more inches to let you put your stuff or people in with out walking around the truck. Hope this helps

Last edited:

Ballistik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well I removed the cable that AllenD specified and got about 2"s more travel. The issue is the recliner for the back rest. That does not go as far forward as the passenger side. Does anyone have a clue on how to get it to go further a little more.
Thanks for the help.

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Allan D is sort of right on the operation of the seat belt track, but in a colision. It is the saw tooth shape and the inertia of the driver that locks the seat belt to the track not the little metal braket. That bracket is no where near strong enough to hold my fat butt in the seat in a crash. ie, it can be removed safely. if not I wouldn' t have done it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals