• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Koda's Mazda Build.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finally went out and bought a new truck. With the Zx2 down and the Ranger leaking an ungodly amount of fluids (yes, multiple fluids) I figured it was finally time. I did some browsing on craigslist and emailed a few people. I was set on a 1997 Ranger with low miles but tons of rust for 500, but it sold too quick and it was gone while I was at work. Someone somewhere must have felt bad for me, so they let this little Mazda fall right into my lap.

It's a 1990 Mazda B2600 SE-5 (sport edition). The ad said it was rusty, but when I got there I discovered it was covered in surface rust and had some holes, but surprisingly had a nearly rust free frame and underbody. Turns out it's origionally from New Hampsire.

Some specs:
4x4/5 speed/manual t-case/fuel injected 4cyl. From what I've done a little research it pushes a whopping 122 horsepower, although that number may be off. Less than my Ranger, but it still feels like more power because the Ranger was tired and had poor gearing.
176,000 miles, but runs like new.
Everything that I have played around with works so far. Whoot.
Dual MP3 stereo, takes SD cards and USB drives. It sucks.
4 way speakers with blue LED's. No idea as to the brand name, haven't got that far.
Hitch with reciever, no rear bumper though. I think it got in the way.
And then it's got a bed liner, bench seat, yada yada you get the picture its a TRUCK.

On with the photos!

Not as pretty as the Ranger, but I still like it. Especially the hood bump.

Front bumper could use some fixin.

Inside is almost spotless, a few blemishes here and there but hey! It's 20 years old!

Crappy stereo that's coming out ASAP.

Cool looking speakers. We'll see how they sound when I get a real stereo in there. Whole floor board glows.

Could use a little cleaning, but I like the look of the dash. I hate round things in trucks.

Tailgate has the worst surface rust, and the bed has a few holes.

Bed has some rust. I was going to throw 4x4 tags on it but I like the SE-5 badge better.

Wheel wells are rusting out.

Small hole forming in the cab corner, have to see if it goes all the way.

Frame. Surface rust, yes. Deep rust, no.

I didn't even notice the sticker until I went to go pick it up. NSFW. :D
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/rdnx4life/Mazda B/100_3125.jpg

Right now my plans for it are to make it a little purdier, maybe throw a ball on the hitch. I want to get a bed cover for it, or maybe a tool box. I also have my eye on a pair of newer (92) doors in Red with the flag style mirror and the bed off the same truck, but the bed has a dent in the front corner and some rust in that spot.

If I keep it, I'll throw on some wider mud tires and some more lighting. I wont go too big on the tires because I don't want to bog down the 4cyl. Honestly, 235/75R15's at the biggest is what I'm thinking. I'd also like to get a pair of subs put behind the seats. I don't really see myself storaging anything back there anyway.

Hope you enjoy. I know it's not a Ranger, but that shouldn't matter when your on a tight budget.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
i like it. its got the same styling as a toyota kinda lol and a lil bit of nissan too.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
looks good man. my brother had a B2000, 2wd and it was a hell of a truck. never let us down.

its time to build some tube bumpers my friend :D

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My brother said the exact same thing, that it reminded him of his Nissan. And I thought every yota in the junk yard was one of these until I saw the front end of them and got mad. There was about 20 toyotas and only two Mazdas. That should say alot. :D

For bumpers, I think I might leave the rear as is. It kind of has a roll pan look to it, if the rust was fixed of course. I wouldn't mind a front tube bumper but I want to wait and make sure I'm keeping it.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Right on Koda, that is one weird stereo. Memory only stereos are now becoming the thing but that looks seriously old. It's from the post.. but the future:D

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'll take your old sterio off your hands, has to be better then my factory Ranger one =D.

Nice find, its 4wd, manual tranny/transfer case, etc....

Before you get new tires, burn out the ones you have. A 2.3liter can easily turn P235 75R15 tires, (when it had my 2.3 in my truck it moved them easily with 3.73 gears).

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, this one's a 2.6.

Good find man, what'd you pay for it??

lindsay_elaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Love those trucks! I feel like every time I see one it's missing the rear bumper, I wonder if they just rot away first?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Right on Koda, that is one weird stereo. Memory only stereos are now becoming the thing but that looks seriously old. It's from the post.. but the future:D
I know. At least the ones that flip down with the cd in the back look decent, this one is just plain ugly.

I'll take your old sterio off your hands, has to be better then my factory Ranger one =D.
Nice find, its 4wd, manual tranny/transfer case, etc....
Before you get new tires, burn out the ones you have. A 2.3liter can easily turn P235 75R15 tires, (when it had my 2.3 in my truck it moved them easily with 3.73 gears).
This is a 2.6liter so I'm sure I can, it's got plenty of pep. I already have ruts in my front lawn. :D

I have to look into what gears I have. The Nissan had crazy gearing, I'm hoping all import pickups are the same and I'll have some crazy gearing too. If that makes any sense at all.

Good find man, what'd you pay for it??
I'd rather not say, lets just go with cheap. :cool:

Love those trucks! I feel like every time I see one it's missing the rear bumper, I wonder if they just rot away first?
I'm not sure, I think they just removed it to get to the hitch easier. There's two of them at the JY with bumpers still but both are beat and rusty. It's your basic metal step. Big, bulky, and pretty ugly honestly. I'll stick with no bumper, and upgrade to a tube bumper if funds allow for it.

I actually have the model right above that, it has rca outputs, with a decent amp they sound great and with the USB input (I use and 8G) no skipping when offroading..
I'm getting another one for my Blazer..
I have a pioneer DEH-3200UB in my truck, and I will be switching it over.

It's about 200 times better, IMO. I have a micro usb drive plugged in and 4gigs of music stays in my truck 24/7. I went with a micro drive because I kept busting normal ones. It only cost me about 130 or so, my local walmart has them for between 150-170 I think.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
man this makes me miss my b2600i. youll love that truck, i would do anything to have mine working again. and you wont have any trouble burning her off with the 2.6, mine could burn pretty good for a 4cyl lol

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sorry. :D

Mine's the B2600i too, just the SE-5 version. I'm still trying to figure out what that means.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure about now but back years ago rear bumbers on trucks were an option.. My uncle bought a new Nissan that had a rollpan look to it.. Later he bought a bumper.. My 89 Ranger had no rear bumper when I bought it either...

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice truck, I wouldn't mind having an ext cab one. They look pretty tuff

jhammel85

Solid project man.

I wonder about that cab rust though. Does it go through?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals