• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical issues

96b2300

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All,

Sorry this is long, but I hope all the information will help. I have gotten information in the past from this forum on a couple of rangers I have worked on, but always found what I was looking for in a search, so never had to register or post.

With that said, I just purchased a 1996 B2300 with 160,000 miles for $400 as a second work truck. I got it from my father in law so I knew it had problems I had to fix, but I ran in to one I can't figure out.

I drove it home and it would sputter under load while starting off in first, and for the first few hundred rpms after shifting to second. It would run fine at speed, with just a stutter every once in a while.

He had already told me he drove it for about an hour with old gas in it, and I knew it needed a tune up, so I somewhat expected it to run like this.

Also, the windshield wipers occasionally came on by themselves. I got it home and pulled the plugs, and they were mostly tan-ish with no ash or carbon deposits, both #2 plugs seemed to have the ground electrode slightly melted and the insulators were cracked, I assume this was from the #2 injector causing this cylinder to run lean.

I replaced the plugs and wires, the fuel filter, drained the gas, filled it with 93 octane and added some seafoam into the gas tank for good measure. (I also found a hole in the thermostat housing, so I fixed the weld and replaced the thermostat)

After all that was done, I went to start it. All it did was crank. After some trouble shooting I found the pcm power fuse was blown, so I replaced it. Tried to crank it again, and the fuse blew right away. I disconnected everything that runs off of the pcm relay (pcm, egr vacuum solenoid, maf, evap solenoid, iac, injectors, etc.) and put a new fuse in. turned the key to the on position, and the fuse held. Then I plugged everything back in one at a time, and the fuse held, and the truck started :icon_confused: .

I let it idle a bit, and it seems to idle a little low still, with some engine vibration. After a bit, it will sputter a little then kick up to a normal smooth idle. When this happens, I can hear the fuel pump relay click. I replaced the relay with no results.

I test drove it for a few minutes after it warmed up, and it still sputters a little under load while starting off in first, so I am assuming this is from the fuel pump relay clicking on and off or from the injectors still being somewhat clogged, the seafoam should take care of them in time though.

tl;dr, what would cause my pcm power fuse to blow several times then not blow, and what could cause the fuel pump relay to click like that.

Thanks in advance,
Clint

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals