• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I buy this bumper?

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bumper for sale near me:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1964737761.html

pics and text in case ad goes down:

"Winch bumper for
- Fits 83-92 Rangers (first and second generation)
- Fits 83-90 Bronco 2 (first and second generation)
- Fits 92-94 Explorers

It is a warn bumper. I think that it used to be for a full sized truck but it was modifided to bolt up to these 3 ford vehicles without any modification and its the perfect width.

Has a spot for a high lift jack, offroad lights, winch, tow points, and a front skid plate"

He's asking $250, but I think I could recoup a lot of the cost by selling my old bumper and the extra fairlead I would have

My current bumper:

Previous owner put it on, I don't know much about it, except I think it might be a James Duff bumper modified to fit the truck, pretty sure it wasn't made for 3rd gen rangers. Also, don't know why he put a 3,000 lb winch on it. I got a 12K winch waiting to go on, and a 2nd pair of PIAA lights, but here is my question. What's the easiest/best looking option for doing this? I don't know anything about welding/fab work, so anything I get done needs to be done by someone else, so I'm hoping to keep the labor time down. There's no way the 12K winch can fit on that plate on the current bumper. Would it be easier to ditch my bumper and get this other one, have it mounted (if it needs modifications, otherwise I can bolt it on) put the new winch and lights on, or get someone to modify mine so I can fit the winch? As for looks, I think I'd be happy either way. I like the way mine looks (except for the harbor freight winch) and I think I would like the way the other one looks too. What's my best option?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Keep yours no question. That other one looks like a pos.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Keep yours no question. That other one looks like a pos.
+1

The other one looks like he stopped making it when it should have that armor plate looking stuff on there.

Also, $250 is pretty steep for something that "basic".

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
yours looks way better

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the opinions guys. What do you think it will take to mount the 12K winch on there? I was thinking get a plate put between the frame rails, mount it on there, and put the fairlead on the two bottom tubes roughly where the license plate is. How much should I expect to pay someone to get this done? Also where should I mount my other PIAAs? I was thinking ask the person to weld some tabs on the diagonal tubes so I can put them between the headlight and the center lights.

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the winch (got it on CL, Smittybuilt XRC12) just need to figure out what to do about my bumper

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last edited:

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nothing wrong with it, I want to keep it as long as I can get the new winch mounted on it. I don't know if you can tell in the photo but there isn't much room between the grill guard/light bar and the grill, and the space on the plate between the tubes isn't wide enough for a full size winch, so I think it will need some modification, which I can't do

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Dang it! It's things like this I love working on!

If you were closer, we could come up with something awesome!!

But shipping would kill you a little bit too.

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I wish you were too, I'm looking for someone who knows what they're doing to help me with this. My neighbor's a car freak and he's pretty good with body and fab work, but he said if I paid him to do it, he'd never get around to it because he has too many other projects. And it seems like most of the 4x4 custom fab shops around here charge an arm and a leg

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That bumper should take the winch just measure it. Your winch is 21.15 L X 6.3 W X 8.82 H. Should be able to just use that universal winch plate and bolt it on but might have to drill the holes but hey thats just a drill and a bit and 10 min.

Edit: That winch mount plate is only for 9000 lb. How did you wind up with a 12000lb winch for a little ranger? hell my 8274 warn is way over enough @ 8000lbs single line.

Last edited:

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was watching CL for a while and was going to get an 8k or 9k winch, but a good deal came up for the 12k, $350 for the winch, plus 24k snatch block, two clevis shackles, a pull-pal and some other misc. recovery gear, so I grabbed it. Also the smittybuilt XRC12 is pretty much the same size and weight as the XRC8, so I said why not?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Holy cow that was a smokin deal there man. I got lucky with my 8274 also it was a whole $50 bucks. I would just pop that atv winch off there and set it up on there. If all you need is a universal mount plate you would be good to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals