• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD clunking '00 ranger

pimp-daddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2000 ranger, 4.0L, auto tranny, electric switch transfer case, PVH mod done. My problem is that when i click it into 4wd, the indicator light comes on, it produces a vacuum for sure (almost left a huge hickey on my hand), but when i drive it makes a very loud CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. it goes faster and slower depending on my speed. It worries me so i actually gutted the hubs just to make sure my driveshaft wouldn't spin and mess anything up. I'm hopin it's not the 4wd actuator motor because it's priced at about $300 and i don't have that kind of money. What do you guys think i should check? The front drive shaft will turn a about 1/2 a turn before it grabs. I need to find a friend to operate the switch while i try to diagnose from underneath..

any advice would be appreciated.

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
This is just a shot in the dark, but your hubs and/or wheel bearings could be toasted. I had a CLUNK CLUNK awhile back and the plastic clip holding the axle unto the wheel bearing had snapped and was allowing my axle shaft to clang around, destroying the wheel bearing and hub. I would pull both your hubs and make sure your axles are secured into the wheel bearings, there is a article in the tech library about how to use jig saw blades to remove the hub, it works great. If you need to replace the hubs, I used AVM manual hubs, its a great way to get rid of the shakey vacuum system and they appear to be built tougher then stock hubs.

Hope this helps....

Last edited:

pimp-daddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help.. but i think it's somewhere closer to the transfer case. i had both me and buddy holding our heads out the windows and listening and it sounded like it was coming from underneath us rather than from the wheels. hopefully i'll have it sold soon to some old guy who will never use the four wheel drive or something. i want it gone.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It could be that the chain is loose inside the transfer case, or one of the output bearings is gone.

pimp-daddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
buggyman, you were somewhat right. rather than the hubs being destroyed the axle input shaft came out right at the hub where the outer CV boot is connected. that explains the clunking noise. i think i better ask the repair shop for the old parts so i can build me a trophy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals