• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cracked heads?

88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i was replacing my valve cover gaskets, and when i took off the covers i found this suprise, does this mean i got cracked heads?

88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
also its not like a foam it more thicker, almost like a thick grease

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Maybe.

Your covers are off; clean up under the rocker pedestals at #1 and #6 and see if there is a crack visible. Note that they aren't always visible, so you can only condemn heads this way. Common 2.9L cracks like to go RIGHT through the Ford emblem on the tops of the heads.

Other possibilities are condensation from very frequent short-distance driving, or leaks at the lower intake manifold (almost always, this results in burning coolant and perhaps oil as well, and the vehicle passes a leakdown test).

It's in principle also possible for the front cover to leak into the crankcase, but it's much more likely to leak to the outside.

FYI, I describe small leak condensation like you're seeing as "Vaseline." If you feel it, it feels like water.

88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok, i'll check that all out, i just bought it in november so i don't really know what kind of conditions they put it thru

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
FWIW,

My '88 was x10 worse than that!

I think I was 17 or 18, didn't know a damn thing about car/truck engines, drove it like that and the oil pressure eventually dropped off. The snot had to be well over 1/4" thick in some areas under the valve cover.

Just keep an eye on the coolant level, don't let it overheat as this will just make things worse. Is there any coolant loss?

Pete

88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
see i'm not sure because i just bought it and didn't know the level when i got it, but i just replaced all fluids and i'm tring to get it fixed up, but as far as i know there isn't any coolant leaking

this engine only has 96K miles on it and the guy said it was his grandmas and it sat in a garage for 2 years or so, so i'm not expecting much out of this engine so if it finally takes a dump maybe a new long block or if i'm daring enough a V8 swap

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If your vehicle sat for a while without running condensation can cause a film to develop under your valve cover. to check if you are in fact getting coolent in your oil pull the dipstick and see if the oil is normal color. If it is whitish and foamy than you should look at either a cracked head or more than likely a defective head gasket. If this is the case do not run the vehilce because it can ruin your crank and cam bearings. If the oil is normal color than it is only condensation.

88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i did a oil change in the beginning of december and the oil was a dark dark black, no discoloration, but i dont think they changed the oil too often

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You have been running the vehicle since the oil change? If you have and the oil on the dipstick is dark than you have not to worry about coolent in the oil. Plus check and see if your radiator is full. Remember oil floats on water and with the oil pump running then the oil would mix with oil making it white and foamy. If your oil is dark and normal in appearence than you have no problem.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Unless there is some symptom of the coolant leak in terms of gloopy looking drain oil or oil pressure issues my best advice is keep driving it, but be aware that the engine has an issue.

My advice mirrors that of my brother "Run it til it blows, then replace it"
we have learned the lessons that foster this advice the hard way.

Unlike my brother I take a somewhat more prepratory approach...
I'd start shopping for another engine NOW then replace it when it's
convenient to ME, not when it's convenient to the engine.

Then again I'm one of those people that starts feeling "itchy"
when I don't have a spare for any item that's got a potential
for failure.

I have a spare (4.0) engine for my truck out in the garage.
It's a 70K mile 4.0 out of an aerostar, so it's got the wrong
exhaust manifolds on it, other than that....

Not everyone is dedicated enough to keep spare engines around
for their vehicles...

AD

88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, i changed the passenger side gasket today and under that cover nothing, it was clean..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals