• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Super Mild '90 Ranger

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
This thread is my '90 Ranger 4x4 Build. I call it super mild because it's my daily driver and I haven't done anything real extreme to it.

Well, this is essentially my Ranger before I started modifying it a couple years ago:

Of course, this was test fitting my new bumper.

You can also get an idea of the rust I have to deal with up here:

I drove around with these bumpers (after they were powdercoated, put on a matching rear, too) for about 10 minutes before moving on to the next step.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tires!

Test fitting. I knew they wouldn't fit but it's fun to try. BFG MT (KM1) in 255/75R17 on forged Centerline wheels. You can also see the rust I was dealing with here. I hate rust.

It's crude but it worked. I set this up to mark out a 19" radius from the center of the hub with suspension under static load. 19" covered the rust pretty well and looked ok both front and rear.

Cut fender.

Cut front fender with tabs to attach to inner fender liner.

Phase one complete.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Some time elapsed and I put some of those popular Explorer seats and center console in:

Much more comfortable than the 60/40 split bench.

I also replaced the rear sliding window a bit later due to a mishap with getting locked out while stuck in a snow bank...Not real exciting so I don't have a picture of it.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
My wheels are a full polished finish so they get dull and dirty after a while. Every year I go and polish them up a bit.

Looks pretty dull!

Get the tin of Meguair's out.

Spread it on:

Polish with a Mother's Powercone. Usually I do it twice or three times if really bad.

You can see the difference! Front is polished, rear not done yet.

And Annual Wheel Polish Day complete:

You can also see I put some driving lights at some point. Hella 500s. I like them a lot.

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i like it, i hate cutting fenders but with that bumper and those rime it make is look like it wants to 60mph through the desert, i might change my mind after seeing those pics

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
i like it, i hate cutting fenders but with that bumper and those rime it make is look like it wants to 60mph through the desert, i might change my mind after seeing those pics
Thanks.

I have more stuff to post to get to where it's at today, and a lot more plans for the future. Although, many of my plans aren't concrete yet.

But one thing I haven't figured out with the cut fenders is how to make the rough cut look better. I didn't have enough material with all the rust that was there to make a factory looking lip to finish it off so it's just as thick as the sheet metal.

One of the reasons I cut the fenders was also because I thought the squared openings looked dated...if you look at more recent vehicles, '97+ F150s, '93+ Rangers, etc. they all have wheel openings that are a fairly constant radius, ie if you continued the edge you would end up with a near perfect circle.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I was sick of the rust and peeling paint in the bed so I decided to put a roll on bedliner on. I used Herculiner.

Like every project I do on this pickup, first I had to repair some rust. It seems like every time I open the tool box to do something I end up replacing a bolt/nut or some other rusted out piece. I got so sick of running to the hardware store to buy a bolt and nut here and there that I bought about a 10lb bag of assorted sizes. That should last for a bit!

The pickup originally had a dealer installed bed cover on it which used snaps screwed into the side of the bed. Rust had started to form around these holes and all along the bed sides.

Some of the bedsides turned to nothing after trying to patch the holes by welding them up:

Cut out offending area:

Weld in some new sheet metal

And grind it down:

There were several areas like this. Putting in a simple bedliner turned into a weekend of work.

I was wire brushing the inside bed rail and the steel practically turned to dust:

Again, cut out offending areas:

But this time I get to form a piece to put in place:

Welded in place:

Rust contained and all the holes welded up. Now I could move on to the bedliner.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tape off for the bedliner, I chose to go down the bed sides a bit to the first body line to cover up all the welding and grinding I did.

First coat after roughing it all up:

You can tell here where I repaired the rust. It's ok though, it's no worse than the rest of the body.

I also did the top of my bumper at the same time, makes it grippy to step on:

Since the tailgate was already off for putting bedliner on the inside I decided to put on some flat black primer on the outside. Kinda to test the waters and see how I liked the look.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I fabbed up a spare tire mount when I did the bedliner:

I used some scrap steel I had laying around and bought black plumbing pipe. I put about $8 into this mount. I also painted the handle, just hadn't done it yet in this photo and found a washer to put between the wheel and the mount.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
More rust repair :annoyed: before winter hits (no need to chastise my welding and body skills, I know I'm not very good):

Cut out offending area:

Weld in backing plate:

Weld on top plate and grind down:

And apply some beautiful primer:

I did a few spots:

Weld some tabs on to help secure the fresh piece:

Formed up and cut out a new piece:

Welding in:

And primed:

I also did just some cleaning and priming where there was surface rust in a few other spots on both sides of the pickup:

Last edited:

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
So I need some suggestions.

I'm thinking of doing the rest of the body in flat black rattle can primer. I would do a body panel at a time so I can complete a section and make it look ok before doing too large of an area and getting rushed (remember, this is my daily driver and one of my goals with this build is to not have the vehicle out of commission so I can't take it to work) Any opinions?

I also want to do something to the cut fenders to give it a finished look. Any suggestions that won't be too expensive and fairly easy to do? I thought of purchasing fender flares but most of the time those are pretty expensive to buy new.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it were me I would just paint the bottom edge all the way around.... All the rockers and around the fender well

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it were me I would just paint the bottom edge all the way around.... All the rockers and around the fender well

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I do think this is a good option and I might do this. Even if I end up not liking it I can just continue it on to the rest of the body.

The only concern yet is the hood and the roof. The hood is peeling and starting to rust on the edges. And the roof paint is getting pretty thin, I already primered a small area that bare metal was showing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals