• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Having a problem.

LostJounin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I own an 01 Ford Ranger 3.0 v6 and it has some problem that I can't figure out. I live in Oxnard, California and we had a somewhat decent downpour of rain a week or two back. Truck was running fine before this storm. It has 149k miles and it gets its oil changes and basic stuff done when needed and hasn't given me an ounce of trouble since I bought it.

Well, here's the issue. It's idling and running rough. Now before you turn and say it's my MAF or IAC, I put those into the equation already. While I haven't replaced them, I did clean them out and make sure they were connected properly. Unfortunately, the results were less than minimal. Now, this issue isn't just an idle issue, the engine is shaking, much more than it was before and I do have my Check Engine light on, though unless I want to pay some shop $90 for an engine check up, I have no way of finding out what that code means T_T.

When I step on the gas, while at a stop light or moving slow... say under 15mph, the truck almost feels like it's going to shake itself dead :( Sometime's it idle's fine and doesn't shake, specially when I'm driving a bit faster. However, when I'm on the freeway sometimes the truck will jerk, kinda like when you're about to run out of gas... But it only does it a few times then stops, it's rather annoying.

So, my question to you good fellows is... does any of that make sense or sound like something that has happened before? I'm so lost at the moment and before I go about spending a ton of money, I'm just trying to be pointed in the general direction. Also take into account that it was raining hard and something might have gotten wet but I checked and everything is dry... and has been for over a week now.

If you have any insight or anything, please post it!!!

-Robert

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
start simple. when was the last tune-up done on the truck, plugs and wires? a couple simple ways to check your wires would be either start the truck up in the dark and look to see if spark is jumping to a ground other than through the plug. or you can spray each wire with water and see if it makes it worse. always start simple. It is really necessary to know what codes are in it to help solve this problem. Could you maybe find a shop to just pull the codes and thats it, no diagnostics of the problem?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Autozone will ususally pull codes for free, also when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

LostJounin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Bikerboy:

Simple is good. Haven't tried those methods, nor do I really have the time, unless it's the weekand. I also don't really have a place to work on my truck which I've been wanting for a long time. I'll try those ideas when I get a chance, thanks. And I replaced the plugs and wires about 6 months ago FYI.

BlackBII:

I never thought of that, autozone eh? Also, since I've owned the truck, I have not replaced the fuel filter. But I'm not convinced it is the fuel filter cause it just happened one morning, worked fine the night previous and I go to start it up in the morning and it's like the indiana jones ride... Y_Y

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
BlackBII could be right. you could have gotten some dirt and crap into your fuel filter and since it is randomly the fuel filter might not be clogged the whole way but just has some stuff floating around in it.

LostJounin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
BlackBII could be right. you could have gotten some dirt and crap into your fuel filter and since it is randomly the fuel filter might not be clogged the whole way but just has some stuff floating around in it.
Now the fuel filter, being say partially clogged or whatnot, might make ones engine shake more than usual? Also, how do I go about checking my fuel filter. It's in or around the gas tank, yes?

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it is located on the frame rail. drivers side i believe. you cant really check them you just replace it. they aren't expensive, under $15 US.

LostJounin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it is located on the frame rail. drivers side i believe. you cant really check them you just replace it. they aren't expensive, under $15 US.
Ok, I'll pick one up tnite and let you guys know how it goes. I'm just in a tight spot because I have to cover for my co-worker while he goes on vacation and I'm a computer technician at a fairly busy company and I need my truck to do my work, so if I take it to ford for this, I'm going to be without my truck for a while and I can't do that... or afford it.

Thanks for the help guys! :D

P.S. Due to recent events, my question is could it be a possible oxygen sensor?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals