• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

350 engine

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
does anybody know much about the 350 engine about what i can and can not do to it. I want to give it more performance but i dont know what i can do let me know thanks

Danger06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986/2001
Make / Model
Ford/Mercury
Engine Size
4.0L/351M/2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
you can do just about anything to a 350, i'd do heads, intake and headers

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
that link helps alot thanks

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
I have a 82 s10 pushing 400 hp, i have a high performance crank, mild cam, shorty headers, and a napa muffler, go figure, LOL ya you can do just about anything to it

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 82 s10 pushing 400 hp
Hmmm... Torque? Maybe... Blower? I'd believe it then.

Asking about a Chevy engine in a Ford forum? :bad:

j/k.

The possibilities are endless, it's a 350!

Honestly, do what I did. Spend the $13-$15 and get a book! :) No sense in making someone else's mistake twice. They usually have good combos in books to help aid you in selecting the right parts for your build. Plus you get the benefit of building tips and other very good information. Not to mention, like what was stated above, the terabytes (guessing) of information on the internet that is about SBCs.

I am getting ready to rebuild a V8, the first thing I did was get a book. Also bought a fairly indepth guide to installing V8s into Rangers. Once I get stuck, I'll come here and poke people's brains.

I did the same for when I rebuilt my 2.9L V6 - Sven Pruett's How to Rebuild 60 Degree V6 Engines.

Hell, I just bought a service manual for my tomato red POS '93 2.3L Tempo.

Pete

Last edited:

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My uncle always wanted to put a Chevy 350 into his Ranger, he had this old catalog that used to sell conversion parts to fit a 350 in a ranger....

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i only asking about the chevy in here because other forums on the interent are gay and plus i stil own a ranger just it has a blown engine

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Imo>>>>>>>>

i only asking about the chevy in here because other forums on the interent are gay and plus i stil own a ranger just it has a blown engine
============================================
Blown engine, ey.................so bore that 350 out 30 over, put in a set of 10 to 1 flattops, good set of 1.94 heads, descent cam, aluminum intake, Holley carb, custom headers, 2.5" exhaust, built T350 trans, 8.8 w/posi & geared deep, and a set of slapper bars............and HANG:icon_surprised:ON!!!

NO, I'm not loyal to ANY make.............I believe in usin the best of what they offer and build ya a BASTARD BEAST!!!:taunt:

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
============================================
Blown engine, ey.................so bore that 350 out 30 over, put in a set of 10 to 1 flattops, good set of 1.94 heads, descent cam, aluminum intake, Holley carb, custom headers, 2.5" exhaust, built T350 trans, 8.8 w/posi & geared deep, and a set of slapper bars............and HANG:icon_surprised:ON!!!

NO, I'm not loyal to ANY make.............I believe in usin the best of what they offer and build ya a BASTARD BEAST!!!:taunt:
ok i would like to do that but i dont know know alot about engines. Like what is boring 30 over and 10 to 1 flattops what is that and the 1.95 heads dont know any of that

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Like he said, do your research. I work on alot of weird engines, and the first thing I do is hop online and learn as much about them as I can. Do a google search for the 350, Or do a wiki search, and then check out the links in the bibliography.

You say you don't know much about engines. Well, a 350 is the perfect one to learn on, as they are cheap and parts are everywhere.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First off, the ubiquitous Chevy 350 is probably one of the best and most versatile engines ever built. Sorry Ford die hards, but it's true. There's almost nothing that can't be done with it. The one thing that you must ask yourself is MONEY. Asking what you can do with an engine is like asking what type of house to build. It all depends on what you are going to do with it and how much money you want to dump into it. You can freshen up a stock engine for a couple hundred dollars or you can have it built to the nines with 500 h.p. on pump gas for about 6 grand, or you can have it blown nitrous 1500 h.p. for 20 grand. Take your pick. How deep are your pockets.

If you don't know a lot about engines, as you state, like someone stated earlier, buy a book. Look on line and learn about rebuilding engines. Many book will show you step buy step. The first engine I ever rebuilt was a 2.3 L out of my old truck. It was just me and a Haynes manual. Pulled the engine with a come along hanging over the rafters and cardboard on the floor. It was one of the most frustrating and best learning experiences of my life. There's nothing more satisfying than turning over the first engine that you've ever rebuilt and hearing it come to life, knowing that everything in there YOU did. Just remember that some engines the pistons have a front and back. Unfortunately I saw that in the manual after I put the heads on....the first time. I sold the truck 2 years later and it still ran like a top. The only thing that wasn't rusty were the tires, but the engine purred like a kitten.

chvlfrk

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
Here ya go for starters>>>>>>>>..

ok i would like to do that but i dont know know alot about engines. Like what is boring 30 over and 10 to 1 flattops what is that and the 1.95 heads dont know any of that
===========================================
I've been workin on cars since I was 10yrs old, watchin my Uncle Jim do tuneups & such to my Dad's cars.................only way I learn or really remember anythin is by hands-on...........I pitted on a IMCA Open-Wheeled Modified dirt track car for 10yrs while in the AF, and learned ALOT from the owner. But I did buy books to fill in the blanks so to speak:c-n:....

Here's one of the ones I have & is REALLY HANDY to have, as alotta guys try to pass off 305's as 350's................ALWAYS CHECK THE CASTIN #s...
3970010 & 3970014 are the most common, and can be found in 2 or 4 bolt main configurations.......
http://books.google.com/books?id=G2kUibvRUo8C&dq=how+to+rebuild+your+small+block+chevy&pg=PP1&ots=mjhunPFUEt&sig=8WAiSLtwyrbD6DeMZkubS8dzjRQ&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS255US255&q=how+to+rebuild+your+small+block+chevy&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPP1,M1

GOOD LUCK with your build, and if ya need any help, just drop me an email (a355ranger@bellsouth.net) and I'll be glad to assist.

RichBeBe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
This has been on the NYC Craigslist forever...
1984 Ford Ranger
350/350 Chevy engine & transmission. Ford 9" Rear w/3:08 gears. Holley fuel injection. Mallory Unilite ignition. Autometer guages, B&M shifter, custom bucket seats. Lowered 4" in front and 6" in rear(the correct way). They are not cut and chopped springs or a hack job. It was done at The Truck Shop in Sayville. New custom 2 1/2" SS exhaust and Super Trapp mufflers. Line lock. Louvered hood. Truck is very fast, and must be seen. The wing is easily removeable and not permanantly mounted. Under hood needs detailing and a clean up. The truck has been garaged for 12 years and has never been in the rain or snow. E-mail for more pics.... Price is negotiable to people with cash in hand. I will also consider trades for a good cc boat, or jetski. NO QUADS or dirt bikes please!!!! They must be of simular quality and or equal value.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/car/532657235.html

chvlfrk

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals