• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Spark to ground side of coil

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On this 86 B2 2.9 I have replaced the distributor with pickup module, TFI Module, coil with new units. Still have no spark. I did a spark test with a spark plug attached to the main coil wire that leads to the distributer cap and showed no spark or voltage present at all. I checked the hot lead to the coil (red wire) and im showing matching battery voltage there but there is no ground showing from the TFI module to the coil. Before replacing the above it started and stalled after warm up then conked out. This led me to believe the TFI module had become defective as this is 1 of its symptoms when it croaks. I still dont get ground from the TFI to the coil. Tomorrow I am going to replace the ground wire from the TFI to the coil and see if this resolves the problem. Any suggestions as to what this might be if this trial does not work? Please help.:bad:

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I checked the hot lead to the coil (red wire) and im showing matching battery voltage there but there is no ground voltage going from the coil out on the TFI module to the coil.
There is no such thing as ground voltage. If it is ground, there is no voltage. There is a pick up sensor inside the distributor? This is what tells the TFI to fire the coil. This sensor goes bad as often as the TFI. shady

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ground Voltage

Sorry I should have stated no ground signal from the TFI module to the ignition coil. Plus the distributer is new w/new pickup module, plus a new TFI module I already mentioned.

Last edited:

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Resolved my problem

I checked as I stated and found there was no ground signal running from the TFI module to the ignition coil. This is the green/yellow wire hooked up to the - side of the coil itself. I replaced that wire and I achieved the needed spark from the coil wire using a tester. The spark is bright blue. I resolved my own problem. I hooked up the wire to the cap and the engine started, with timing adjustment to 10 degrees btdc by disconecting the spout connector it adjusted perfectly. shut her down and reinstalled the SPOUT connector. she starts and runs like a dream.

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Resolved my problem

I checked as I stated and found there was no ground signal running from the TFI module to the ignition coil. This is the green/yellow wire hooked up to the - side of the coil itself. I replaced that wire and I achieved the needed spark from the coil wire using a tester. The spark is bright blue. I resolved my own problem. I hooked up the wire to the cap and the engine started, with timing adjustment to 10 degrees btdc by disconecting the spout connector it adjusted perfectly. shut her down and reinstalled the SPOUT connector. she starts and runs like a dream.:yahoo:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good diagnosis. Broken/intermittent wires and bad connections can be a bear. Thanks for reporting back. shady

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good diagnosis. Broken/intermittent wires and bad connections can be a bear. Thanks for reporting back. shady
X2 and thanks for posting back with what your fix is!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals