• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OK to leave water spots?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have hard water spots on my hood and roof that won't come off. I heard that distilled vinegar would do the trick. My question is, would leaving the water spots there for a few weeks make the spots even harder to remove later on? The spots have already been there for a least a month and have had a layer of wax over them. Today, I just washed, clay-barred, used pre-wax cleaner, sealer and glaze, and finally pure carnauba waxed the hood and roof (didn't have time to do rest of truck, will do that either tomorrow or whenever I get the chance) so I REALLY don't want to use the vinegar right now and do all that work all over again. So I want to know if I can leave it the way it is for now, and then use vinegar in a few weeks to remove the spots. Will it cause any further damage?

Randy M.

Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the clay bar did not take the spots off, you may have luck with the vinager, but, more than likely what you are seeing is spots where the clearcoat has been etched.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Try some rubbing compound and swirl remover, then rewax.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If the clay bar did not take the spots off, you may have luck with the vinager, but, more than likely what you are seeing is spots where the clearcoat has been etched.
Yea I'm pretty sure the clear coat has already been etched, so is there anything I can do to remove the spots at this point? I guess the damage has already been done and it shouldn't get any worse, so I think I'll leave it until I can get it professionally buffed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals