• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear end of frame fabrication questions

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys. My dad just bought a 93 extended cab 4x4. It has low mileage but the rear bumper and about 1' of the frame in the back is rotted out. I guess the rest of the frame is good but as you know ford made things pretty flimsy the further back you go on the frame.

I was thinking of finding a solid parts ranger and just cutting the last 3 feet of the frame off and welding it on. I am no fabricating expert so we were going to bring it somewhere, i am assuming getting everything lined up perfect is key because the rear shackles would hang off the new piece.

Is this whole thing a bad idea or has this been done before failry inexpensivley?

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, if i do this, was there a difference in the standard cab and extended cab frames? If the wheel base is the same does it matter what type of cab i steel the frame piece from?

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
you could repair the spot, and box the frame.

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
I had a similar issue. I tore it all apart, took out the rr crossmember and shackle hangers by grinding out the rivets, got all of the rust out until it was solid metal, and painted it. I took and fabbed up a rr crossmember out of 4x2" steel tube with two 16" long 4"x2" C-channel rails that insert into the factory rails. The C-channel legs were welded perpendicular to the rectangle tube, which is the only welding I had to have done on this project. Put 4 1/2" bolts through each leg, as well as the shackle hanger bolts. I did have to come up with new bumper brackets. Very beefy, no issues in 30k mi. Check if your spring and shackle hangers need replacement at this time. I did lose my spare tire location in the process, but i couldn't even fit a 31 under there anyways.

nate09

Reaction score
its possible. if you plan on removing a section of frame from another ranger make sure you make your cuts fit like this => >= so the you wont have to make vertical welds on the frame rails (a big no no) and then plate the area over the weld.

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks guys....one mroe question. are the frames identical in a 2003 vs. a 93? I am assuming no. I have a guy with a totalled 03 who would see me the tail real cheap but i doubt it fits.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Take his frame and put your body on it....
SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If the back half of the frame is rusted through, chances are the rest of the frame as well as parts of the suspension are not far off even if they appear to be good...If you're going to do a job, do it right the first time:icon_thumby:
SVT

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the back half of the frame is rusted through, chances are the rest of the frame as well as parts of the suspension are not far off even if they appear to be good...If you're going to do a job, do it right the first time:icon_thumby:
SVT
Not in this case. These trucks like to rot out in the back first...usually around here the rest stays solid...the back is just a salt trap

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Food For Thought>>>

98up frames are modular, as in the rear frame section is seperate, have him cut the frame infront of that section, then you grind off or drill out the 8 rivets per side to remove the crossmember, then cut your leavin a 10" overlap so the 03 rear frame section will slide over your frame, drill your holes, and bolt it up usin Grade 8 bolts & weld it if ya want.

Pic of my 99's rear section that I have modified for my current project:

Post pics & keep us informed of the build......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals