• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.4L SHO V8 ford Tarus swap

ff2024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, the 3.4L SHO Ford Tarus engine. Good fit for a 99 Ranger 4.0l? Or am I wasting my time?

Thanks

Brett

stranger

Reaction score
no but an explorer 5.0 is much easier.cheaper and better to mod.
what type ranger and trans.?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
:DLets see---going from a 3.0 V6 to a 3.4 V8? OK, I give up........... Where's the gain? :icon_confused:(aside from the improved sound output of the V8)

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
What RWD trans would you be able to use?

If your '99 is a 2wd you could go with a 4.6 or 5.0. If it's a 4x4 go with the 5.0.

ff2024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's a 4x4...never thought of the explorer 5.0 that might be the way to go. 5R55E tranny. I was going to put in another 4.0l from a hail damage vehicle but something about getting a 6 bolt flywheel instead of 8. Got me. I'm going to look into the 5.0L Explorer motor. Hopefully it will slide right on in.

stranger

Reaction score
99 ranger has pats,a 99-01 explorer motor,trans(4r70w),tranfer,driveshafts,accys,fuel line,shift cable,throttle cable,ac line,and harnesses (2 trans also) and pcm,will make a bolt in, plug in,tow to ford(for pats reset) swap

Slipknotyk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:DLets see---going from a 3.0 V6 to a 3.4 V8? OK, I give up........... Where's the gain? :icon_confused:(aside from the improved sound output of the V8)
The gain of going from a 3.0 to the SHO 3.4 is the same as is in the Taurus. 3.0 produces a rather wimpy 130-175 horse in most applications, while the Taurus 3.4 produces 235. This is even more than the (stock) 5.0 Explorer motor. However, the Explorer motor does produce far more torque (285 lb ft)

I'm trying to look into which transmissions hook up to a 3.4 SHO and would work with a 4x4 application. The bolt pattern is IDENTICAL between the 3.0L "Cologne" Taurus-Ranger V6 and the 3.4 L Yamaha V-8. The 3.4 does have one substantial advantage over the Explorer motor, and that's engine space. It would require some substantial modification, but a forced-induction SHO V-8 could be the way to go, if ya want to push 300+. A twin-turbo SHO-V8 is going to be a powerful motor, and with the right axle ratio (4.88, 5.13) could actually be a very good motor for wheeling.

Plus, you're actually going to pick up economy over the 3.0 and 4.0 engines. The 3.0 is the black sheep of the Ford Ranger engine family because it produces BOTH less economy AND power than the 4.0 and in terms of power is a very, very mild gain from the 2.3/2.5 (something like 15-25 horse)

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
from what i have been told it shares the bellhousing pattern with the 3.0l

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The gain of going from a 3.0 to the SHO 3.4 is the same as is in the Taurus. 3.0 produces a rather wimpy 130-175 horse in most applications, while the Taurus 3.4 produces 235. This is even more than the (stock) 5.0 Explorer motor. However, the Explorer motor does produce far more torque (285 lb ft)

I'm trying to look into which transmissions hook up to a 3.4 SHO and would work with a 4x4 application. The bolt pattern is IDENTICAL between the 3.0L "Cologne" Taurus-Ranger V6 and the 3.4 L Yamaha V-8. The 3.4 does have one substantial advantage over the Explorer motor, and that's engine space. It would require some substantial modification, but a forced-induction SHO V-8 could be the way to go, if ya want to push 300+. A twin-turbo SHO-V8 is going to be a powerful motor, and with the right axle ratio (4.88, 5.13) could actually be a very good motor for wheeling.

Plus, you're actually going to pick up economy over the 3.0 and 4.0 engines. The 3.0 is the black sheep of the Ford Ranger engine family because it produces BOTH less economy AND power than the 4.0 and in terms of power is a very, very mild gain from the 2.3/2.5 (something like 15-25 horse)

If you can find one that the cam gears haven't walked off of yet and destroyed the engine.
If you do then weld them sum bitches.
Build it, throw on some forced induction and you have an engine that will move some ass. For how long I dont know though... Its not idealy balanced at 60 deg. Most all V8's are 90 deg......
I don't know about the space saving thing though.
It shares the same bell bolt pattern as a Duratec 25.

Last edited:

trx250r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The feeling im getting is the OP isnt trying to spend a ton of money. A turbo setup will easily triple the cost of the swap after supporting mods and tuning. As far as i know there arent many aftermarket offerings for the yamaha designed SHO motor. I feel like a 5.0 would be a better choice for making more than stock power.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals