• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Black bear pass colorado

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys,

just wondering if any of you guys have ran black bear lately was planning on running it over labor day weekend but was not sure how the trail was looking after all the rain the area has received.

Thanks,

TJ

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
We were out there about 3 weeks ago, people were hitting it hot and heavy, no problems reported. There WAS a report of a gravelanche, but it was cleared out by mid to late morning.

Have a safe trip!

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
We were out there about 3 weeks ago, people were hitting it hot and heavy, no problems reported. There WAS a report of a gravelanche, but it was cleared out by mid to late morning.

Have a safe trip!
hey thanks for the reply, really looking forward to going up there so hope the weather holds out.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Do you go there regularly or is this your first time?

It was my first time there when we went a few weeks ago. I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Lots of great trails in that area!

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
It will be my first time on black bear we have hit a lot of other trails in the area. I only live about 2hrs south of where it is located so Im not sure why I havent ran it yet. We used to have a 69 bronco that we ran on a bunch of other trails around silverton and we have had our 2000 ranger up there a lot too, but I am looking forward to runnin it.:headbang:

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome! BBP is the one that was off my radar my first trip (my only trip so far). After Engineers pass and Imogene Pass, I'm not quite as intimidated by BBP. Every tourist that rented a jeep at the hotel I was at did it, so it's on my list for next year. Damn the hype LOL.

Be sure to post pics of the Red Mountains and of course BBP!

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
ya Im hoping the weather holds out and no rain. A guy I work with is wanting to go too and take his forerunner. I will be taking pics and Ill post em after I get back, if it rains or something then we are still going up to silverton and maybe go hit one of the other easier trails.

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
well so far the weather looks like it is going to be nice this weekend so I am planning on running black bear but my buddy from work cant go so if any ranger peeps in the area would like to meet up let me know I am going up from Farmington, NM Saturday morning 9/4/10. I know its short notice but if anybody else is already planning on going or would like to go it would be cool to have someone to run with.:icon_thumby:

Hanzo Steel

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you going alone make sure you post up when you get back so we don't send a search crew for you.

:rolleyes:

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
If you going alone make sure you post up when you get back so we don't send a search crew for you.

:rolleyes:
well no need we are not running black bear now just going to silverton and play around there so maybe next year when I have my truggy done we can plan on it maybe have a ranger meet.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Be sure to do Engineers Pass and Corkscrew Gulch (Poughkeepsie if you want something more technical). We didn't do Corkscrew and I found out afterwards that it goes right up to the Red Mountains. It's a MUST on my next trip.

Have fun and stay safe, be sure to take tons of pics!

I believe this was from Corkscrew Gulch

Poughkeepsie: (click image to see the video)

RescueRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
alright well were back and had fun just went to silverton and up north of that to animas forks and up california gulch a little. heres some pics sorry no wheelin pics but we really didnt do anything technical to take pics of so just scenery pics.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
looks like fun. I love that area...haven't done any "4" wheeling up there but I've been around Engineer, Cinnamon, Animas forks, etc on dirt bikes. LOVE the area, my inlaws have a cabin to the east between Lake City and Creede.

I was there a week and a half ago, but that was a backpacking trip...hiked for 3 days and climbed Uncompahgre Peak (14,321ft), it was a blast. Will be back next year to climb it again and will be doing some wheeling in the Jeep. Don't know if I'll be ready for black bear but I'll probably do most of the stuff between Silverton/Ouray/Lake City.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't look for technical when I was there. I figure running two diamond trails on the side of a mountain enough of a challenge LOL.

Glad you had a good time and are safe.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome, my son wants to do a night time ghost hunt at Animas Forks. Meh, to each their own, right, LOL.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals