• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hub Problems

macewan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have been having problems with my 4 wheel drive not working lately. I found out that the rear is engaging but the vacuum is not always present at the hubs. What are my options here? If I go with manual hubs (99 Ranger BTW), would that fix my problem? If so, anyone know of a good place to buy them at a good price? What other options do I have. My buddy showed me how to switch a few vacuum lines around to get the hubs to engage but I'd rather fix the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

freebird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i had the same exact problems. I went out and got new automatic hubs(because at the time i couldent find manual ones) and had them installed, then there was still a vacuum leak at the axle seals. Your best bet is to hook it up to a vacuum smoke machine and see where your leaking. It could be somthing simple. In my case, i needed new hubs, it was unavoidable the old ones were siezed up and no ammount of vacuum could pull them. But before you go buying new hubs make sure the hubs are your problem.

PS i believe a company called AVM makes manual hubs for the 99-01 ranger. Thats the only place i could find them.

macewan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure it is the hubs leaking vacuum. I am worried the the module that sends the vacuum to the hubs might be a problem. Of course I can't say for sure. I am going to remove both hubs tomorrow and replace the O-rings and make sure they are in good condition but I believe my problem is elsewhere.

Thanks for the lead on the hubs though, I e-mailed them.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
theirs a write up on how you can make your vacuum hubs LOCKED all times.. basically making them like the newer style "live" front axle rangers..

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
There are several options. Full permanently locked (like newer rangers), push click unlockable, and the AVMs. Most instructions are in the Tech pages.
I have a '99, have put the AVM hubs on in place of vacuum hubs, sealed the vacuum lines, and NEVER regretted it. Only took about 15 minutes.You can search for 99 ford AVM hubs on ebay (where I purchased from) http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/231/products_id/26509 is a link to show them. You can get them for a better price than shown in the link.

macewan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'm leaning towards the clickable hub mod but I'm worried that opening the hole in the plastic cap will let too much muck in from the mud I run through a little too often.
:icon_thumby:

I contacted the folks at AVM and they gave me a few URLS to check for stock. Right now the hubs are on back order though. I might still try to determine the cause of my problem and work at fixing that. I never got a chance to check my hubs out for bad seals/o-rings since the weather here got real cold and I don't have my garage built yet.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
how about a few rubber body plugs to cover the holes after modding the hubs? it means one extra step for locking and unlocking...but is still far cheaper than any other option....

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
BTW... I have the PVH hubs I removed. No actual problem with them that I know of (I just wanted to get rid of the PVH hubs). I will GIVE them to you for the price of shipping. Send me the area code if you want exact price. they will come in the AVM hub box, so don't get excited.

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I noticed your thread and thought I'd put in my 2 cents. :)

A few years ago I ran into the same problem with my 97 Ranger, auto hubs took a dump so I decided to go with manual ones. I decided on the Mile Markers. In the 5 years that I had them, I went through 3 replacement sessions with Mile Markers, the other day another blew out. They did send me replacements every time, so...no complaints there.

Finally, after having another go out, and looking at going through the same process...again...I purchased a set of Warns. Now, it remains to be seen if I have a similar situation with the Warns...only time will tell.

By the way, I don't really use the 4 wheel drive other than to get around the occassional snow here, and the annual vacations to NC and driving on the beach for a couple of days. So, they are not being abused...I'd also like to note that they were maintained to their specs.

macewan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
BTW... I have the PVH hubs I removed. No actual problem with them that I know of (I just wanted to get rid of the PVH hubs). I will GIVE them to you for the price of shipping. Send me the area code if you want exact price. they will come in the AVM hub box, so don't get excited.
I am located in Johnstown, PA 15906

That would be cool. I appreciate it!

macewan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
how about a few rubber body plugs to cover the holes after modding the hubs? it means one extra step for locking and unlocking...but is still far cheaper than any other option....
Yep, that would be a smart idea to do. I was actually thinking of looking for a plug that had a hard piece of rubber inside of the one that is used for weather seal. That way the whole seal could be pushed in to click the hubs in and out.

?????
Who knows, maybe that might be something that would work. I will be trying the ones that I get from srteach and hopefully that solves my problems, I believe it will.

FORGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Wicked Sludge, thanks for that link...

srteach, how did you seal the vacuum lines??

No more than I will actually NEED 4X4, and where I will use it (snow or mild off-roading in the summer, no deep crap to get into the hubs...), the Push To Click To Lock mod being FREE sounds like it's right up my alley.

If I take the vacuum actuation out of the picture, then I don't have to wonder after I've clicked if the auto system has changed the setting.

Last edited:

macewan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
In my opinion, you should just leave the vacuum lines alone. Even if you use the push to click mod, you still have to switch to 4lo or 4hi to use the 4 wheel drive. If the hubs go in, you can feel it when you do your manual click. If you see that one or both is in, it will stay that way until something changes to unlock them. Either you doing it manually, or the vacuum system doing it, if it works.

I'll keep watching the thread to see if any of the more experienced guys say differently but it seems to me that taking the vacuum lines out of the picture is not really necessary.

FORGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Even if you use the push to click mod, you still have to switch to 4lo or 4hi to use the 4 wheel drive.
The way I understand it, the new-fangled, push-button 4X4 system (Along with the automatic transmission, another reason for the wussification of the American male) uses an electric motor to operate the transfer case, and a separate vacuum system to lock the hubs.

With 125K on the truck, I don't want to have to worry about a leaky system crushing my groove when I'm in B.F.E.... It all works fine now, driving around town on paved roads and the gravel parking lot at work, but as soon as I NEED it, there will be a hole in a hose somewhere....

I plan on the AVMs in the future, but 'til then, I don't wanna have to rely on 10 year old tubing being between me and getting where I wanna go...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals