• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2300 Driveshaft Removal

fpearson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'97
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tried a search around here, didn't yield exactly what I was looking for. Wondering if there is anything special about driveshaft removal on a ’97 B2300 5 spd 2wd. Last time I wanted to closely inspect u-joints, I removed all the 12 mm bolts from the flange on at the rear end of the driveshaft and attempted to slide the flanges apart and slide the shaft out of the tranny like I did on the 96 ranger 2 wd 5 spd I used to have but it wouldn’t budge on the B2300. I was pressed for time and everything looked like it would last for awhile so I put it back together because I was afraid there might be something I was missing about driveshaft removal. That was ~10k ago, now I have a squeak and a lot of lost motion when I first apply power just like on the old ranger right before it spit out a bearing cap on the highway so I’d like to do the u-joints as soon as I’m finished working on my ignition problems.

If I unbolt the rear flange, does the driveshaft on the B2300 just slide out of the tranny like the ranger or is there something else I need to do? Thanks all.

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Re: Driveshaft removal

Once you remove the flange bolts, you should be able to slide the drive shaft forward to separate the flanges then drop the tail end and slide it out. You might want to get the rear tires off the ground and put the tranny in neutral to take any torque pressure off the drive train. The two flange halves have alignment pins that will hang you up if there is any pressure on the drive train. Take a small hammer under there with you and tap on the side of the flanges to loosen them. It should come apart.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
what he said^^^^^^

zo3423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having a hard time removing my dome light on my mazda b4000 1999.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There is a shallow "pilot" on the flange on the diff and a female recess for it on the driveshaft half of the "companion flange".

In service these are somewhat tight and tend to take either a jolt with a prybar or a firm whack from a hammer to seperate once the bolts are removed.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals