• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

code readers

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What is a good code reader to use? I'm wanting to get one that can display the history if I can.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The engine management system, or computer, in the truck itself stores "Memory" codes. All of my trucks are OBD1 systems, and the reader I bought is an Innova Equus, #3145. Just a basic code reader that ran about 30 bucks, but it's one of the the best tools I ever picked up. I understand that OBD2 readers, for '95 and newer, are more expensive, though. Mine has more than paid for itself.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How can it possibly EVER pay for itself? OBD-I code readers are functionally equivalent to a paper clip.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
How can it possibly EVER pay for itself? OBD-I code readers are functionally equivalent to a paper clip.
Easy. Two of my three trucks have thrown CELs. In both cases once I had the codes, I used the shop manuals following the proper pin-point tests to know for sure what failed. Eliminated the "guess what's wrong and throw parts at it" syndrome, and saved my time by not farting around clueless.

I know what you're saying here, MAKG, but I have trouble following the blinks when using the test light or meter needle swing method (hey- some of us are just slow!). I like the reader plainly showing the codes as a readout, indicating the type of each code, and I like how it stores the retrieved codes until I clear them.

Besides, I like cool tools.

Last edited:

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
OBD 2 is what I'm looking for to diagnose my wifes car. It comes up with a CEL when it rains and the car jitters when she presses the gas. I need one that can see the history because it's not on long enough to take it to AutoZone to get checked. She won't stop in herself.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Even OBD-II has "hard" codes and "soft" codes. Hard codes go away once the condition lifts, but soft codes do not until they are cleared or the always-on power fails.

OBD-II also has "pending" (unconfirmed) codes that can be useful for diagnosing intermittents.

None of this is a function of the reader. It's in your PCM.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Even OBD-II has "hard" codes and "soft" codes. Hard codes go away once the condition lifts, but soft codes do not until they are cleared or the always-on power fails.

OBD-II also has "pending" (unconfirmed) codes that can be useful for diagnosing intermittents.

None of this is a function of the reader. It's in your PCM.
Will any code reader display those codes? I would like to look at past codes also or do they delete after it is resolved?

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an Equus 3100 and I like it so far. I got it for about $90 on amazon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals