• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I got $1,200 and a Ranger....

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What is the best possible sound setup in a Std. cab Ranger?

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My suggestion is that you keep it simple. How about a single 4-channel amp behind you. That will give you a bridged channel for a sub and a pair of channels for the door speakers

The pic is just to give you an idea, fiberglass is probably not in your budget and the glass doesnt make it sound any better anyway.

A good 10-inch sub for really small enclousures is the Pioneer Premier TS-SW1041D. We have used this sub where I work and its performance is really good. And it will work ported in a 1/2 cu ft box.

Door speakers. Mounting, mounting, mounting. The best speaker in the world will sound like s**t mounted directly to a thin metal door. A little dynomat and a baffle will work wonders here

Now any decent 6 x 8 will sound fantastic.

My 30-cents worth

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well, everybodys "best" will be different. heres a nice place to build a nice package, http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/packages.php

heres what id pick:
sub-11kv.2/dual 2( i have the smaller 9kv.2 in a .3 cubic foot box, sounds good)
amp-nine.4(i have and have had no problems with)
components-edi 6000s v.2
sound deadening-60sqft edead v1(thats enought to put 2 layers on each door)(i have some of this stuff sitting in the closet. go too cold before i could install it)

that all totals $450.50+shipping

but i would call them and add a 8 gauge amp kit and 30ft of their 16 gauge speaker wire. altogether it shouldnt set you back more than $600. that gives you $600 to buy a headunit, box, 6.5" speaker adapters. heres their number 641.792.2501, theyre not open on weekends.

another option for a nice amp would be a rockford fosgate p400-4. another nice option for components would be phoenix gold rsd65cs. ive heard nothing but good things about those pg comps. good luck

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
components-edi 6000s v.2

6.5" speaker adapters.
I am gonna disagree with the 6-1/2-inch speaker choice. The 6-1/2-inch speaker has less surface area than either the 5 x 7 or the 6 x 8. Less surface area typically translates to less low end responce. Mid bass is hard enough to reproduce in a vehicle, lets not compound the problem by using speakers with less surface area.

well, everybodys "best" will be different.
I agree 100%. I was recommending a course of action, because of the limited space in a single cab Ranger.

I stressed speaker mounting for a reason, my truck was designed to win SQ contests, and it has trophied 24 times. I have won with Pioneers, Polk DX and Polk EX speakers. It won because the truck was built to win, not because of the brand of speaker.

What is the best possible sound setup in a Std. cab Ranger?
Its not as much about brand as it is about the install.

Last edited:

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
had to edit that i didnt see it was a regular cab, for bass i would go with the 12" shallow mount kicker CVT or something like that. alpine,kicker,pioneer, are trusted afordable brands

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am gonna disagree with the 6-1/2-inch speaker choice. The 6-1/2-inch speaker has less surface area than either the 5 x 7 or the 6 x 8. Less surface area typically translates to less low end responce. Mid bass is hard enough to reproduce in a vehicle, lets not compound the problem by using speakers with less surface area.
for me its hard to beleive that sound waves(round) will sound better coming from a oval speaker. also, there are some 6.5" comps just over $100 that can produce some nice midbass. anything below 80hz can be handled by a sub if he chooses.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
for me its hard to beleive that sound waves(round) will sound better coming from a oval speaker. also, there are some 6.5" comps just over $100 that can produce some nice midbass. anything below 80hz can be handled by a sub if he chooses.
I find it difficult to believe that a sound wave is round. While mathematically, we tend to represent sound using trig functions (tyically the sin function) But thats only to aid understanding. And yes, I've seen the drop a rock in the pond Analogy. But an example is not proof.

I've played a Guitar now for 35-years and I've never seen a round guitar string. Yet it produces beautiful sound. So I find it hard to believe that sound must be produced from something round. A great majority of speakers are round only because it simplifies construction, no other reason.

I need to look into your idea, its an interesting notion. While I think your idea is flawed, however, I also find it very fascinating, and worth looking into.

Last edited:

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i worded that wrong. i meant to say, while you can get some good sound from a oval speaker, i beleive you can get better results from a round speaker. especially a set of components getting clean power from an amp. i have no proof of this, it just makes sense to me. ill look around the internet and see what i come up with.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
round=rigid cones due to the round construction. at higher excursion, there would be less distortion.

oval=more surface area, so there would be more bass. distortion at high excursion listening levels.

thats pretty much all i could come up with. as far as coaxial speakers, there wouldnt be much of a audible difference. when it comes to a 6.5" components set(which i suggested) vs a coaxial style 6x8, there would be a noticeable difference. you would be able to seperate the tweeter from the mid. that would reduce any cancelation of the high/mid frequencies. you would also raise the soundstage by moving the tweeter up. depending on the make/model of the tweeter, you may be able to swivel and aim the tweeter directly towards your ears. in my truck i aimed my tweeters at the dome light.

so it all comes down to personal preferance and budget. id only run a 6x8 if i were doing a basic install and running them off the headunit and not adding a sub. otherwise a nice set of components and a sub to fill out the bottom of the system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals