PDA

View Full Version : tips for a 2.8 rebuild

OilPatch197
01-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I am about to do a rebuild of a spare 2.8 motor I got, I want fuel efficiency.

I will also be rebuilding or replacing the C-3 auto transmission, should I rebuild it or get a rebuilt unit?

So other than a fuel economy cam, and the duraspark ignition conversion, who else do I need to do?

enginepaul
01-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I rebuilt a C-4 and it worked great but I wouldn't do it again. It is a LOT of work and some special tools should be used. I'd start by asking local people where they go for trans rebuilds. I knew of two places that did wholesale rebuilds long ago. One was always supper clean, the other always dirty and dingy; both seemed equally successful, but my friends went with the clean place at a slightly higher price. Summary: It can be done, but you need lots of time for the first one and lots of solvent - ya gotta keep it clean.

As for fuel economy, the stock truck cam give pretty good mileage as it is. You gearing will have a big influence on mileage.

JoshT
01-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I can't say much about the cam, but the key to getting good mileage out of any vehicle is to have the proper gearing and keep it well tuned/maintained. If you do rebuild this motor to the intent of economy don't judge it by the first few tank fulls, from what I've heard the good mileage doesn't really show until after it's broken in.

Insanejughead
01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Who else do I need to do?

Hahahaha!!!:hottubfun:

Idk... :joke: