• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anti Theft on 99 Windstar is engaged how do I disable/reset?

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I put a remote starter in a 99 Windstar for a friend and now the Anti Theft is engaged. No matter what I do, the anti theft light blinks rapidly with the key in start. I found out after the fact that the key blank I was given for the bypass was not programmed. I tested the remote start with the regular ignitition key in the bypass module and all was well. when I put the blank in the module everything went into anti theft mode. Is there any way to reset the system or am I having the van towed to Ford? BTW I install these things regularly (about 7-8 every week) and I have never had this happen before.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I'm not very familiar with one that new, but it seems that using the original (programmed in) key to start the van should put the security system back to normal. Then you need to have the new (bypass) key programmed in before trying to use the remote start again. Hope that helps, and good luck with it.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Nope. No dice on that one. I tried it and antitheft was still active. Called Ford and they took responsibility for not telling my friend's wife that she needed to have the key programmed. They gave her a rental car, paid for the tow and are resetting the anti theft for free. It was nice not to have a consumer horror story. Great service!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Wow; that is great service. I'm glad that it turned out well.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
It is possible to program a third key on the 99 ford vehicles. You must have two keys programmed into the vehicle. The third key then has to be placed into the remote start system, usually in a box that is part of the system. The third key then authorizes the engine to start without a key in the ignition. The programming procedure is in the owners manual.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I got this info from the12volt.com . Open the driver's door put the key to "run" and walk away for 15 minutes. Apparently the antitheft can learn the key's resistance this way. Oh well. I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens again. Thought that one was pretty cool and sharing tech is always good :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals