• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

distributor questions

tx_smorgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
ok i have an 88 ranger with a 2.9

I think my distributor is off a tooth heres what going on

i pulled out the distributor and mark lines where it was on the block same with the rotor also set it to top dead center
when i when to put it back in i lined it and up on would go back in try
the only way i could get it to go back in was 45* clockwise
it runs just like shit didnt have much time to mess with it after that just moved the distributor around a bit just to see if it change any to see if it was maybe just the time but not change really at all

any idea would it run a tooth off or to and how do i go about fixing it

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
start over.

find TDC (compression), point the rotor at the #1 spark plug wire connector on the cap and drop the dizzy in. start the engine and time with a light.

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Adjustment to Distributor

If you are one tooth off on the distributor it doesn't matter, all you need to do is pull the pip connector (with the ignition off) off the line and adjust your distributor to 10 degrees before top dead center by having the distribtor retaining screw snug but loose enough to turn the distributor. The pip connector will either be next to the passenger side valve cover or between the battery and the fender. It looks like a little flat top mushroom and has retainer clips on both sides. Its only 3/4" wide by 1" long. After you set your timing to 10 degrees btdc, shut off the ignition and reinsert the pip conector. it will run good. :icon_idea:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't matter MUCH, but it does matter.

What it affects is when the two injector batches fire.

It would have to be FAR off to cause driveability issues by itself.

tx_smorgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i set the timing with a light but at idle it moves up and down between 500 and 1000rpms
but it has power like normal when driving it

what do you think about that?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
probably not a timing issue.

id start by checking/cleaning your IAC solenoid...thats the usual cause of abnormal idle.

tx_smorgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i already did that

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Did you pull the SPOUT when you adjusted the timing? Check for cracked / broken grounds.

Pete

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The ground between the TFI module and the - side of the ignition coil is green w/yellow stripe. if coroded this can cause misfire and be sending various spark quality to the distrbutor cap. check this. this wire is a problem child if coroded. My 86 Bii 2.9 liter was acting similar to your described behavior when it conked out completely and I changed every part of the ignition system and than found the problem, replaced the wire. it runs perfect now.

tx_smorgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i took that spout out
im going to look for that wire

tx_smorgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
so that green and yellow wire was all good nothing wrong with it all grounds are good to

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If your Air charge temperature sensor is defective it can send a false reading to your computer and would cause your problem. The Air charge temperature sensor is a thermistor sensor that inputs the temperature of the incoming air stream in the air filter or intake manifold to the computer. It can be located in the intake manifold (EFI systems) or the air cleaner. On carbureted vehicles, if the air is cold, it signals the choke to let off slowly. It then alters engine speed after the choke is off and below a certain temperature, dumps air from the air injection system to the atmosphere for catalyst protection. Since your vehicle is fuel injected it will be on the intake manifold above the passenger side valve cover. this would cause the vehicle to surge up and down if that is defective.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals