• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken bolts?

rangerbronco288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i bought a used engine from the junkyard 88 2.9 v6. The first engine i spent 2 days drilling out the bolts where the manifold bolts to the y pipe. That engine had a cracked block so i had to take it out and take it back to them. They gave me another one and i figured why waste me time drilling when I don't know if its even gonna run right? so i didnt i just dropped it in my ranger. So now my delema the engine runs good but now i have no way to bolt up the exhaust. I cant just unbolt the manifold i tried with one bolt and you can tell there are gonna break off. So is my only viable option to pull the engine back out and drill the bolts out or is there some kind of a clamp i can use that will be effective?

Thanks
Jeff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So i bought a used engine from the junkyard 88 2.9 v6. The first engine i spent 2 days drilling out the bolts where the manifold bolts to the y pipe. That engine had a cracked block so i had to take it out and take it back to them. They gave me another one and i figured why waste me time drilling when I don't know if its even gonna run right? so i didnt i just dropped it in my ranger. So now my delema the engine runs good but now i have no way to bolt up the exhaust. I cant just unbolt the manifold i tried with one bolt and you can tell there are gonna break off. So is my only viable option to pull the engine back out and drill the bolts out or is there some kind of a clamp i can use that will be effective?

Thanks
Jeff
put liquid wrench penetrating oil, or another good brand penetrating oil, around the bolts and let it absorb, for a day or two...

hit on the bolt heads with a hammer a number of times, without damaging the bolt heads, which, often times, helps to loosen corroded bolts...

then use an air impact wrench with a six point socket... use the air impact wrench's forward and reverse, alternately, as your trying to loosen the bolts, without breaking them off...

if your lucky enough to get them to start moving... keep using this tecnique, until you carefully get them all the way out, without breaking them off...

remember patience, is a virtue... take your time, as this will save you allot of headache, not to break them off, if you do this, very carefully...

you have a much better chance of getting these bolts out, using an air impact wrench, with a six point socket, than with using a breaker bar or ratchet... good luck...

Last edited:

rangerbronco288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried that at first but the bolts were so corroded they were about half of there size in the middle. I tried heating them and using penetrating oil but to no avail. They broke off and i put the motor in anyway. Now im up a creek without a paddle

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you Cannot get the bolts out with PB and a torcha nd an impact, why dont you weld this Y pipe to your existing exhaust?

rangerbronco288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dont have a welder if i take it to an exhuast shop they should be able to do something right??

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im curious about some sort of clamp device. i dont know much about welding, but arent the manifolds cast and the Y pipe steel? can those be welded?

my situation is a Y pipe with both sides where the pipes meet the manifolds have busted flanges on the Y pipe side. i have no way to secure the manfolds unless i cut apart a perfectly good exhaust to slide something on to the Y pipe to bold everything up...

rangerbronco288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok I guess nobody has any creative ideas i geuss thursday ill have to pull it back out and drill out the bolts

Thanks

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm gonna say something you already figuired out.

you are best off pulling it.

There really is no other way.

AD

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
well since you've already broken the heads off, your next option is to take them to a weld shop and have them weld the head off of another bolt or a really short bolt to the broken bolt. then you can just back them out with a wrench. its best to weld with a TIG welder for this process but im sure can be dont with a mig but the weld might not be as strong. hope this helps. i deal with this atleast once a week!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals