• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radius arm build.. another one

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, so i have been reading up on ppl that have built their own radius arms. one thread (don't remember the OP) said to use 2in dom .25 wall.

DAMN thats thick, pricey and heavy. why not use some .120 wall, and brace it well? i know the .25 wall was partily used because of the bushing rod from the stocker fits in their nice. but .25 is still heavy, what about using .120 wall and "sleeving" it for 6in or so at the end, and then putting the bushing rod from the stock arm inside that?

thoughts?

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do you think you should really cheep ou on a main suspension piece? why go through all the work to save $20?

1/4 wall isnt that thick

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
why not use some .120 wall, and brace it well?
Because it will fold in half if you ever get on it. As said, .250 is rather average. Many guys use .375" wall for arms & links.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I had time, I'd build it to test, but no time so I'll do whats been proven to work. Do you have time? I'll copy yours when it's proven. [I just reread this and I'm not trying to be a jerk.]
Richard

michowski

Reaction score
do you think you should really cheep ou on a main suspension piece? why go through all the work to save $20?

1/4 wall isnt that thick
+1 to this. WAY better to build it stronger then it needs to be rather then not strong enough. Think about it, it holds your entire front end together. Every pot hole you hit, every offroad obsticle, all the force when you brake. It all gets transferred to the arms in one form or another.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
hmm. ok sold. .25 it is! guy only has 48in of it tho. prob gonna need to find some more.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
48" is plenty to do two radius arms out of the stockers.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
48" is plenty to do two radius arms out of the stockers.
i was going to build them from scratch. but extending the stockers would work as well. just need to figure out caster..

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Lil late weighing in, but I as well vote for .250 or thicker. I managed to bend my stock 70's style radius arms pretty bad during U.A. and I'll be fabricating a set using .375 wall material, as well as other possible gusseting to give them more strength.

Building an offroad rig is a delicate balancing game of weight vs strength and you have to walk that fine line..... my truck was 6k lbs+ during the event and it showed as I broke some parts that were never an issue before. Find a balance and giv'r hell, fabricating is half the fun!

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
fabricating is half the fun!

ohh yes it is!

i'll grab the .25 wall next week and see what i can do with it. i'll add some gussets somehow, and for my lil b2 they should work well. until i SAS and 4 link or something!

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I used exactly 4 ft of .25" wall DOM. The entire project cost me about $40 IIRC. Thats a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new arms, and will save you lots of frustration in not breaking on the trail. I extended them to a rebuilt tranny crossmember and still had several inches of "extra" tube to brace and gusset where it attached to the stock arm. I built in a little bit of caster and the front end will align no problem.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
I used exactly 4 ft of .25" wall DOM. The entire project cost me about $40 IIRC. Thats a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new arms, and will save you lots of frustration in not breaking on the trail. I extended them to a rebuilt tranny crossmember and still had several inches of "extra" tube to brace and gusset where it attached to the stock arm. I built in a little bit of caster and the front end will align no problem.
sounds exactly where i'm heading..

going to the ranch in nm this weekend. i'll try to start on it next week.

94gexplorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you could also use 2" square tube thats what i used to build mine its 1/4" thick but at first i welded it wrong going into the stock arm so i cut it in about the middle(which ended up giving me more clearance) then braced it with some angle ive been using them the last 2 months heres a pic

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you could also use 2" square tube thats what i used to build mine its 1/4" thick but at first i welded it wrong going into the stock arm so i cut it in about the middle(which ended up giving me more clearance) then braced it with some angle ive been using them the last 2 months heres a pic
i think you need a gusset on your radius arm mount......just a piece of flat plate hanging down will not last.....

just my opinion......

l8r, John

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Agreed, inadequate design IMO.

Make yourself a 3/16" thick plate (say 4x6" or so) that goes against the outside of your mount that extends a few inches up the side of the frame (bolting it down to the outside of the frame as well). Having the "donut hole" plate supported on two sides would be better, though if you can also support it on the inside a little with a gusset or two, even better still.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals