• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 B2300 crankshaft nut left or right-hand thread?

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1994 Mazda B2300, 2.3 liter engine. Need to replace front crankshaft seal. Is the front crankshaft nut normal right-hand thread, or opposite left-hand thread? Trying to get the nut off but it's very tight, and I have no idea which way to turn to get it off. Put another way, in order to loosen the nut, do I turn the nut counter-clockwise or clockwise as I'm facing the front of the truck?
Thanks for any help
Jeff

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It's a normal right hand thread.

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Re: Crankshaft nut

The best way to remove it is with an impact wrench. This will save you from trying to hold the crankshaft with a strap wrench in one hand, and trying to turn the nut with a wrench in the other hand.

If you don't have one, you might rent one from your local auto parts store, borrow one or even buy one. They are really nice to have.

If you decide to go with two wrenches, do NOT put a pipe wrench on the crankshaft to keep it from turning. Use a strap wrench. Otherwise, you will mar the surface of the crankshaft. The burrs formed by the pipe wrench will most likely cut the new seal as you slide it on the shaft causing it to leak.

During reassembly, pay close attention to the crank position sensor. it is that small device bolted to the block at about 2 o-clock on the harmonic balancer. It has a pair of wires running back to a wiring harness. If you removed this, be sure to replace any washers behind it. These washers align the CPS to the Harmonic Balancer. The fit between the two is CLOSE. A small mis-alignment can damage the CPS.

Here is my post on my own problem with the CPS: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52276

Best of luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
will never buy another Ford product as long as I live

During reassembly, pay close attention to the crank position sensor. it is that small device bolted to the block at about 2 o-clock on the harmonic balancer. It has a pair of wires running back to a wiring harness. If you removed this, be sure to replace any washers behind it. These washers align the CPS to the Harmonic Balancer. The fit between the two is CLOSE. A small mis-alignment can damage the CPS.

Here is my post on my own problem with the CPS: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52276

Best of luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
Wonderful, I probably just damaged the CPS. I unbolted it to see if it moves out of the way of the sprocket, and then tried loosening the large nut which spun the sprocket and rubbed the CPS. Gonna fix this truck and sell it, and get an old Chevy with a straight-six with NO ELECTRONIC SENSORS, NO FUEL INJECTION, NO MICKEY-FREAKING-MOUSE PLASTIC COVERS TIMING COVERS, NOTHIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm freaking done with newer vehicles, F...O...R...E...V...E...R...

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Deep breath . . .

Relax dude! You'll get through this. You didn't damage the CPS by rubbing it. I broke mine when I bolted it in place but did not see the sensor was misaligned. When I spun the crank with the "sprocket" -as you call it - bolted on, it sheared off the magnet.

You see that is a Hall Effect switch. There is a magnet in the bottom half and an electronic sensor in the top half. If you look at the "sprocket" (Harmonic Balancer) you'll see there are openings cut into the side wall. These openings pass between the magnet and sensor as the crank spins. During the period when the opening is aligned with the CPS the switch sends a "1" to the computer. When the solid wall is aligned with the CPS a "0" is sent to the computer. These "1's" and "0's" tell the computer where the crank is so it can control the fuel injectors, spark plugs and other devices to make the engine run.

To make sure you're lined up properly, bolt the CPS in place then loosely bolt on the Harmonic Balancer so that it will spin on the shaft. With your hand, turn only the Harmonic balancer and observe whether or not it passes between the magnet and sensor. If not, use small washers to shim out the CPS until it does.

Hell, even if you you do break it, its only $85.00 at the parts store. Any good one will stock it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals