• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing rivets

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Original Poster: AlwaysFlOoReD

Difficulty: 2 out of 10

Time to install: varies

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

I'm editing this post to show others method's of rivet removal;

alwaysFlOoReD-grinder
Grind an X in the head of the rivet, I used a 4.5" angle grinder with a new disc first, then switched to an old disc to get in deeper with out touching the frame too much. You may not have to, depending where on the frame you're working;

I use a round,flat [like a pin punch] punch and a 2lb hammer to remove whats left of the rivet;

Don't worry if you don't get every last little piece, you should still be able to drive the rivet through to the other side.

B&G_Automotive-torch, air hammer
"For those since they are countersunk I would use a cutting torch to burn them out."
"For ones on a flat surface I just use a chisel bit in my Snap-On PH3050A air hammer and pound them right off without even cutting them up first."

twoII86-drill
"Drill the center out about 3/4 of the way with a 5/32 drill bit, then up size that hole with a drill bit that is the same size as the rivet. then take a punch that size place partially in the hole and pry/pop off the head of the hammer [rivet?] away."

Daringo-drill and air hammer
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=77652

Hope this helps,
Richard

Last edited:

B&G_Automotive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pontiac
Engine Size
3800 Series II Supercharged
Transmission
Automatic
For those since they are countersunk I would use a cutting torch to burn them out, that would keep from cuttin into the frame like that. For ones on a flat surface I just use a chisel bit in my Snap-On PH3050A air hammer and pound them right off without even cutting them up first, it cuts through them like a blunt object being smacked with a skyscraper. :icon_thumby: The rivets are not very hard and can been drilled / cut very easy.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i deal with rivets ALL the time and the correct way 2 do this is dill the center out about 3/4 of the way with a 5/32 drill bit then up size that hole with a drill bit that is the same size as the rivet. then take a punch that size place partialy in the hole and pry/pop of the head the hammer away and ur done sonds like alot of work but dont risk cuting frame or messing ur the temper on the steel of the frame

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
drillnpunch...drillnpunch....fast...painless

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
X-ing them with a disc works well when they areon a flat. Not those. Burning them is great. Drilling is good if you have cobalt, or maybe titanium-coated bits and lots WD40 to keep it cool. The cheap shittie high-speed things will drive you bugshit.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I posted this because there was a lot of requests for this info recently and thought it would make good tech info. The more options people know about the better. I've tried them all at least once and this is the way for me in most cases. I don't think nicking the frame is going to lead to any stress cracks, but if I'm wrong I'll post it up. As far as temper of the frame, in the research I've done, the majority of somewhat knowledgeable people agree there is none, so if I had a torch I'd not be scared to use it. Drilling is great if you can get a straight shot at the rivet head. If I had a good air hammer and air compressor I would do that too. I would be happy to incorporate these ideas [pics would be good too]into my original post, with names, if that would make this a better working topic.
Thanks for the input,
Richard

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thr trick to drilling steal with any drill bit( all tho cobalt or dimond are best) is slow heavy feed meaning drill slowly and press hard and u should get long curlycews instead of chips airtool oil looks best

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as temper of the frame, in the research I've done, the majority of somewhat knowledgeable people agree there is none, so if I had a torch I'd not be scared to use it.
These are not heat treated. The only mention I've seen of heat treating frames is in some heavy duty trucks.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't the main objective here be to provide as many ways possible to do such a task? I'm sure that there are alot of people out there who would need to remove their rivets but only have the tools to do it one of several ways. If someone doesn't have a cutting torch and cannot afford a set of good drill bits but happens to have an angle grinder with cutoff wheels just laying around then i'm sure that this method would more than suffice.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i agree if you dont have the tools do it how ever you can but as far as heat treatment it doesn matter if the frame was heat treated after the bend the metal comes set to a certain heat treatment and heating "COULD" cause problems not saying it will just a heads up

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've edited my original post to add others method's. I credited the idea to the first person to mention that method. If anyone has another method [with pics would be good] I'll be happy to include that as well [with credit, of course]. Also if anyone can provide pictures of the other methods that'd be appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

88rangerakapig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive used all of these methods tourch works the best fallowed up by drilling (with good bits) i found it helps at times to when cutting the head of the rivet off then and using a hammer and punch, to also cut the head of the rivet off the back side of the frame to..

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I never had such an easy time as some of you make it sound. haha. I cut the head off, used an air chisel, drilled, and still ended up beating the rivets out with a 5lb sledge and a punch. I know how to swing a hammer, and it took me a good 30-40 swing per rivet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals