• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange Noise

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 Ranger 4x4 that is making a grinding noise like a chain rubbing against the side of a case. It sounds like it comes from the drivers side. It only happens when you have the hubs locked in and 4x4 disengaged (these are warn lockout hubs not the auto hubs). If you push the 4x4 button the sound goes away immediately. I have already checked the front driveshaft ujoints and cv-joint, all the u-joints in the front axle are new (both outers and the intermediate on the passenger side), new wheel bearings, new brake pads, new calipers.

Could it be the chain inside the transfercase flopping around not being under load? When it is in 4x4 mode there is no noise so it seems like something is loose when it is just free wheeling with the front hubs locked in.

This truck has almost 300,000 miles on it. Just trying to see if anyone else has had similiar problems.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The 13-50 in my Bronco II does this too... but only when I have been in 4WD and push the shifter back up into 2WD without stopping. It makes a rumbling noise almost until I come to a stop to let it completely disengage.

However, when I had the hubs locked and in 2WD, I don't hear the noise.. Hence it goes away once I stop and start moving again.

Not sure what causes it. Mine is only noticeable for a few minutes at a time so I just ignore it. I assume its something in there that is only in use when the case is in 2WD, but not completely disengaged. Mine is like yours, if I put it back into 4WD, the sound goes away.

91wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a simialar problem but when im in 4wd and let off the gas i get a grinding noise, sounds like gears or a chain rubbing the inside off the case or hubs not completly locked. i still havent figured out what it is. got any ideas?

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
I have had the same problem. I had auto hubs, turns out, they reached the end of there life. I put manual ones on, and no problem ever since. It could be your hubs are worn out, bearings could be seizing. Im just glad I didnt go out an buy a new transfer case.

91wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i bought a hi lift jack last night. and i jacked up the front today and the left front wheel bearing is SHOT!!! im thinking that could me most of my problem with the grinding cuz when its only when i go into 4wd so that would be my bearing grinding. im so relived that its not my hubs:headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals