• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have an older chevy truck?

ranger1999 Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im just wondering because i have an old 1982 C 10 im restoring and have had other square bodies over the years. While i think that Ford makes a far superior truck than anyone else for the last two decades, I liked the older chevies. Anyone on here have any older chevy trucks or are restoring them ?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'd like to do a 90 k5 blazer build one day, something nice and big to take camping in the mountains

plowinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 1989
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
use to have one, was my first truck 5 years ago, sold it
79 big 10 350 sbc/th375 tranny 12-bolt rear

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
I thought the BIG 10 were only offered in 1978. That was the year I bought mine. Maybe it was for two years? I still own a 1970 or 71 and a 1990 C10 Ext Cab short bed.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not a bad truck, but ALL trucks of that generation were rust buckets. For some reason... that STILL doesn't negate enough from wanting to do the same, although I've got restomod in mind. I'm bound and determined to throw a zz383 in something before I die.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Current rig>>>

Not the square body style that ended in 87,
of which I had an 85 C10 back in 99, and when I got out of the USAF in 92, I drove outta ND in a 78 GMC High Seirra 4x4 w/400sb, then sold it, and bought a 79 GMC High Sierra Crewcab Dually w/454 (HELLUVA TRUCK!).

My Tow-pig (92 C2500 WT w/Vortec 350 I purchased from the ORIGINAL owner couple years ago), I put the better grill & lights on it, and the 05 C3500 aluminum wheels w/285/75R16 rubber:

I also made the small sides, put the hitch on, bought & mounted the big mudflaps, but do have the stake bed metal lockin sides along side the garage if I needem like I did last year when the Wife bought a 13' pool, thru the side on it with some 4x8 1/4" panelin, and hauled 2 1/2 tons of sand:icon_twisted::

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
my wife and I have a 67 C10 longbed. these are really the only style i like (67-73?)

it will look pretty nice once its done, but not nicer than my 69 Ford 4x4

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have one. It's an '88 crewcab. With a 165" wheelbase it's the best thing I've ever towed with that didn't require a CDL. 10,000# and a choppy county road don't move it. It is a former Forest Service truck I bought with 46,000 miles on it. It has 107,000 now, 6-years later, and has been my daily driver for most of that. It has a 6.2 diesel that I added a Banks Sidewinder turbo to which runs at 12psi, and a Gear Vendors auxillary transmission which splits all of the gears and gives an overdrive, and a Detroit locker. I also added a rear seat from a 15-pax van so it seats 7 people in shoulder belts. It has a B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch, a class V Draw-Tite Ultraframe and a Prodigy. After 22 years it's starting to show some rust on the cab corners and front door bottoms. It's a great truck. I hate it, but it fills all of my needs so well that I can't get rid of it. By needs I mean that I have 5 kids and use a pickup bed daily and tow one a week or more--a small dozer, Bobcat or little excavator or several mowers. I'm tired of being rattled and blasted with noise, but Acura doesn't make a replacement yet or I would be driving it.

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1980 Chevy K-30

I don't own it any more because we moved in 2004, but I loved my 1980 Chevy K-30 I had in Upstate NY. The thing was a crazy beast with almost more rust than metal on the body panels (box was long since gone, so it had a wooden box), but the frame and underside only had surface rust, so mechanically it was as dependable as the sunrise. Drove it for 5 years before we moved. People laughed at it, but they still had monthly payments, higher insurance and costlier EPA regulations on their nice shiny vehicles, while mine was paid for in cash for $1500 and saved me a ton of money, and was more dependable than some other newer cars I've had. Sold it for what I paid for it, and the last I heard, the owner loves it and won't sell it. It plowed snow with bald tires where lighter trucks couldn't plow with good tires. Had a straight-six 292 with a three-speed stick with the creeper gear, one-barrel carb. Put oversize tires on it so the engine wouldn't redline at highway speeds. The air pump failed which resulted in a burned exhaust valve so it ran on 5 cylinders for a while, which didn't faze it a bit. I popped the head off in the driveway on a snowing winter night using a flashlight and did the valve-job in my basement. Nowadays on some cars you need to rip half the engine apart or practically remove it just to change spark plugs and other formally simple tasks, like changing oil pan gaskets.

Last edited:

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's my "older chevy truck"

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Forgot to add: it's a 1986 Chevrolet C-10 Custom Deluxe all original except tires

KYRangerDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's my daily driver in the background 2003 F-150 Love it!!! Working on my 4x4Ranger now. BTW....Chevy is for sale

ASMODEAN

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 litres of ticking fury
Transmission
Manual
Heres a pic of ol' ugly... '84 Silverado it used to be my DD back in high school but now its mostly a lawn ornament or trash bin.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
87 k5

my friend bought a 1987 k5 4x4 305 stick -38000 original miles - friday night.We al ready have the 325/65r18 Firestone M/T's ,the wheels come monday ,the lift is due in on wed or thur. as i type this he is puttin in all new guages .The funny part is its my fault:icon_rofl: see he had a cool wrangler that we put a chev v8 into but I did not care for wheelin at the time ,he never wheel it so he sold it and a 78 k10 short bed with 35's and we bought zx14's -well they are great but it was too cold to ride one day so a friend took me and another guy wheelin-WE WERE HOOKED! the next day I bought a ranger and the other guy bought a 73 bronco v8/lifted all the cool stuff,well we came in to work talkin about wheelin and how great it is -he got so pissed he was sayin how he just sold 2 great wheelers and how we f'ed him!:icon_rofl: so he had to go get this new truck but he made us SWEAR not to sell them-I love wheelin so much now -:yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals