• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bit by the Lift Kit and Big Tire Bug

Research Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Bit by the Lift Kit and Big Tire Bug: 1994 B3000 2wd

So I was bit by the lift kit and big tire bug. More accurately, I have a good friend that's real into offroad and has been feeding me advice since he learned I bought a truck. In hindsight I never should have told him I bought a truck....

I recently purchased a stock 94 b3000 2wd with stock sized wheels. It has decent street tires, but they aren't going to cut it for North East winters. My overall goal would be to introduce more clearance and beefier tires. Realistically, I'm not going to be doing any prerunning or major off roading. The extent of the offroading would likely be driving down bombed out sand roads when hauling my bike to the trails.

So what I'm thinking is perform a 2inch lift to limit any negative aspects to steering geometry and other more involved work (longer driveshaft, etc.) Add 32 tires. And I know that I should do something with the gearing to account for larger diameter wheels.

4wheelparts.com has 7 or 8 different skyjacker kits with shocks. I'm assuming that along with various nitro and hydro options, also brands within. And I know there are hundreds of tire options.

I did a b3000 specific search on here, but it didn't turn up too much specific info. I'm curious where to get started and appreciate feedback on specific brands. Which kit? Which tires? Will I need new rims for 32 sized tires? What needs replaced in gearing? Can the suspension and gearing work be done by the casual mechanic?

Thanks in advance.
-Scott

Last edited:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Roughnecks, get roughnecks.... they last over 70,000 miles and have a 50k mile warrenty, but cost like $275

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Found the new version of Roughnecks:

http://www.mastercrafttires.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=mastercraft_tires_light_truck_courser_AT

Description: 50,000 Mile Treadwear Protection Limited Warranty (U.S. Only)

High Density Tread Block Sipes
Increases the effectiveness of gripping edges for dependable traction on ice, snow and wet surfaces.

VT2ech Optimized Tire Profile
Using state of the art VT2ech computer aided engineering, an optimum mold profile was designed to provide favorable balance of wear and handling characteristics.

M+S Rated

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
mine are still under warrantee from 1997 :icon_rofl::yahoo:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I was bit by the lift kit and big tire bug. More accurately, I have a good friend that's real into offroad and has been feeding me advice since he learned I bought a truck. In hindsight I never should have told him I bought a truck....

I recently purchased a stock 94 b3000 2wd with stock sized wheels. It has decent street tires, but they aren't going to cut it for North East winters. My overall goal would be to introduce more clearance and beefier tires. Realistically, I'm not going to be doing any prerunning or major off roading. The extent of the offroading would likely be driving down bombed out sand roads when hauling my bike to the trails.

So what I'm thinking is perform a 2inch lift to limit any negative aspects to steering geometry and other more involved work (longer driveshaft, etc.) Add 32 tires. And I know that I should do something with the gearing to account for larger diameter wheels.

4wheelparts.com has 7 or 8 different skyjacker kits with shocks. I'm assuming that along with various nitro and hydro options, also brands within. And I know there are hundreds of tire options.

I did a b3000 specific search on here, but it didn't turn up too much specific info. I'm curious where to get started and appreciate feedback on specific brands. Which kit? Which tires? Will I need new rims for 32 sized tires? What needs replaced in gearing? Can the suspension and gearing work be done by the casual mechanic?

Thanks in advance.
-Scott
Well seeing as you are not going to be doing anything major that eliminates your need for something really expensive such as a class 2 lift or anything like that. You could probably get away with a body lift if all you are going for is more clearence for large tires. And seeing as you are going for about 2" of lift I would just get a 2" body lift. It adds the extra 2" of height you want (and solid height, no flexing and hitting fenders) and you maintain stock ride properties on everything including handling. If you absolutely must have a Suspension lift as most on this site will say, I would say either Skyjacker or Rough Country (or maybe its tough country...?) lifts and just the basic lift would do you fine.

Another option would be to get explorer leaf springs in the back and 2" coil spacers up front.

As for tires and gearing... Well with the 3.0L and 32's? I would just save some money and go with the 31's because a whole inch really isn't that much... And there are alot of tires you can get in a 31" size. Also seeing as you are not going to be doing any off roading besides basic trails, I recommend a Decent set of A/T tires. I have had a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo2's and they were by far the best tire I have owned (besides my Mickey Thompsons), The only problem with them seems to be tread life is not what most expect, There is another company that has similar tires that get my approval called Wild Country XTX's they have a similar design to the Dueler revo's with more siping and are winter rated. Another good Option that is in close second would be Firestone Destinations A/T's, BFG A/T's are also popular as well as GENERAL Grabbers A/T's.

You will more then likely need a new set of rims for the tires as I assume your stock rims are 14" rims and the biggest size you can get in a 14" rim is a 28" tire. You will want a set of 15x8 rims thats 15 inches diameter and 8 inches wide. with a 4.5" on 5 bolt pattern and 3.75" - 4" backspacing. Also alot of people here run theirs on stock ranger 15x7 rims.

Gearing and axle wise... well... If you want 31's or even 32's I guess would be fine you will probably want to go with a 4.10 Gear ratio in the rear end and seeing as you have a 2wd you only have to pay for and install one set of gears! :yahoo: I would also recommend getting a locker or a powertrax for your rear end as L/S is really nice until it fails.

Another option would be to just get a whole axle from another vehicle. I recently picked up an Explorer 8.8" with disc brakes and the better L/S option for 100 bucks. You have a 7.5" rear end which is good but many will say it will become weaker with larger tires. An you can save the trouble of buying gears or a L/S if you vcan find an axle with 4.10's already installed in it.

A basic shop that does mechanical work should be capable of doing all you need it to do, and all you need for a gear install is the gears and either a master or basic install kit which will come with new shims and seals or the master kit which basically rebuilds your entire Axle.:icon_thumby:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The exploder leafs wont get him much height gain unless he is currently sagging with his factory springs, Now if he does the mix and match such as in the oxploder spring writeup then he can gain as much as adds to the thickness of the springs. I dont see where a 2 inch lift block would hurt him though mixed with the stiffer exploder springs, given that he wont be doing much wheeling. If the mazda has the ttb setup that ranger has in 94 then you can check out jamesduff.com them and skyjacker are the best options from what i read. R1hatman did the f150 spring swap and gained a little bit of height for the front i would check out his build and see wha tyou can come with from junkyard swaps.

Research Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The wheels are the stock 14s with passenger car tires. The tires are actually brand new from the prior owner, but smaller diameter and tread pattern won't cut it.

Any recos on shops to buy wheels/tires?

The stock shocks have definitely had it, the corner push test and it takes 3 oscillations to come to a stop. So those will definitely need replacing, so why not spend an extra $100 and get a lift!

I noticed that Skyjacker has 6 different 2 inch kits with nitro shocks for the mazda b3000 at various price points. What's the difference across the kits?

Thnx!
-Scott

Well seeing as you are not going to be doing anything major that eliminates your need for something really expensive such as a class 2 lift or anything like that. You could probably get away with a body lift if all you are going for is more clearence for large tires. And seeing as you are going for about 2" of lift I would just get a 2" body lift. It adds the extra 2" of height you want (and solid height, no flexing and hitting fenders) and you maintain stock ride properties on everything including handling. If you absolutely must have a Suspension lift as most on this site will say, I would say either Skyjacker or Rough Country (or maybe its tough country...?) lifts and just the basic lift would do you fine.

Another option would be to get explorer leaf springs in the back and 2" coil spacers up front.

As for tires and gearing... Well with the 3.0L and 32's? I would just save some money and go with the 31's because a whole inch really isn't that much... And there are alot of tires you can get in a 31" size. Also seeing as you are not going to be doing any off roading besides basic trails, I recommend a Decent set of A/T tires. I have had a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo2's and they were by far the best tire I have owned (besides my Mickey Thompsons), The only problem with them seems to be tread life is not what most expect, There is another company that has similar tires that get my approval called Wild Country XTX's they have a similar design to the Dueler revo's with more siping and are winter rated. Another good Option that is in close second would be Firestone Destinations A/T's, BFG A/T's are also popular as well as GENERAL Grabbers A/T's.

You will more then likely need a new set of rims for the tires as I assume your stock rims are 14" rims and the biggest size you can get in a 14" rim is a 28" tire. You will want a set of 15x8 rims thats 15 inches diameter and 8 inches wide. with a 4.5" on 5 bolt pattern and 3.75" - 4" backspacing. Also alot of people here run theirs on stock ranger 15x7 rims.

Gearing and axle wise... well... If you want 31's or even 32's I guess would be fine you will probably want to go with a 4.10 Gear ratio in the rear end and seeing as you have a 2wd you only have to pay for and install one set of gears! :yahoo: I would also recommend getting a locker or a powertrax for your rear end as L/S is really nice until it fails.

Another option would be to just get a whole axle from another vehicle. I recently picked up an Explorer 8.8" with disc brakes and the better L/S option for 100 bucks. You have a 7.5" rear end which is good but many will say it will become weaker with larger tires. An you can save the trouble of buying gears or a L/S if you vcan find an axle with 4.10's already installed in it.

A basic shop that does mechanical work should be capable of doing all you need it to do, and all you need for a gear install is the gears and either a master or basic install kit which will come with new shims and seals or the master kit which basically rebuilds your entire Axle.:icon_thumby:

Research Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Edit: stock wrangler 15x7 have 5.5 inch backspacing. So no go. Ugh!

I've noticed that wrangler wheels have the same bolt pattern as our trucks. From what I've read in the wheel guide, 2003 wrangler wheels "may" fit?

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/wheel_fitment.html

Aside from measuring backspacing and potentially adjusting with spacers are there other considerations to check?

-Scott

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals