• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need a fm145 transmission neutral switch, for my 87 ranger 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
fm145 transmission neutral switch wires are broken off at base

my fm145 transmission neutral switch wires are broken off at the very base, of the switch... is there a way I can make this switch work, if I can screw some small screws into the broken off wires, that are flush with the base of the switch... and then fasten some small terminals to the screws, and attach the switch's wires to these screws, unless I can find another fm145 transmission neutral switch...

Last edited:

RedneKRangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
um just get a socket and take the switch out and get another from a wrecking yard.. and cut the harness too, and then put then new switch in, and splice in the new connector if necessary and there ya go, its just a light switch, changing the resistance in it wont make a big diff.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why cut the harness? There is a connector just a few inches away....

And TEST the switch in the wrecking yard with a handheld ohmmeter.

Breaking off leads right at the base is unfortunately a very common way for these to fail.

RedneKRangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ya thats what happened to mine, i just wasn't sure i understood what he was saying, but ya if its just the switch side of things then you dont need to cut the harness.
my experience with those switches is they dont go bad too often. but i also take home two to four of them when im at the wrecking yard considering they fit in my pocket...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why cut the harness? There is a connector just a few inches away....

And TEST the switch in the wrecking yard with a handheld ohmmeter.

Breaking off leads right at the base is unfortunately a very common way for these to fail.
does the neutral switch have any affect on the performance of how the engine runs, if the fm145 tranny neutral switch isn't operational, other than not indicating when the transmission is in neutral..

does this switch send any information to the computer, for telling it what gear the tranny is in, and make engine adjusments accordingly through any the engine's sensors, that might rely on this information..

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The neutral switch is ONLY for the computer.

It is used to turn off injectors under specific conditions (which include NOT having the transmission in neutral so the engine doesn't stall), and for idle control.

Without idle control, it will "hunt" and the KOEO self test will refuse to run.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals