• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

few questions before starting motor

T-bal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys I have installed my new (not really new, has 50,000 miles on it) 3.0 v-6 into my 98 ranger and have hooke everything back up.
I have yet to start it of course because there are a few things still.
I am missing where something goes, on the injector rail passenger side there is a little vaccume looking thing that apears a hose hooks to it, I dont know what goes to it or where it went. ( I took several pictures of tear down and cant see what leads to it.) also there is a hole in the connection thing( dont know what its called) the plastic thing that leads to the air box and connects to the throttle body. couple sensors plugged into it but one hole that has nothing. What goes there?
ALso this truck was sitting outside for about 4 years before I have put this motor in, there is gas in the tank, Im sure it needs removed, whats the best way and anything else I need to do before starting it up.
Thanks everyone for input. Sorry im not that knowledgeable about it, its my first shot at this v-6 deal. I love this truck ,thats why I want it running again after sitting so long.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys I have installed my new (not really new, has 50,000 miles on it) 3.0 v-6 into my 98 ranger and have hooke everything back up.
I have yet to start it of course because there are a few things still.
I am missing where something goes, on the injector rail passenger side there is a little vaccume looking thing that apears a hose hooks to it, I dont know what goes to it or where it went. ( I took several pictures of tear down and cant see what leads to it.) also there is a hole in the connection thing( dont know what its called) the plastic thing that leads to the air box and connects to the throttle body. couple sensors plugged into it but one hole that has nothing. What goes there?
ALso this truck was sitting outside for about 4 years before I have put this motor in, there is gas in the tank, Im sure it needs removed, whats the best way and anything else I need to do before starting it up.
Thanks everyone for input. Sorry im not that knowledgeable about it, its my first shot at this v-6 deal. I love this truck ,thats why I want it running again after sitting so long.
take pics of the missing things so we know what you're talking about. as for the gas tank, it needs to be drained cleaned, emptied and filled :D

T-bal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I will take some pics and post then in this section, thanks again

T-bal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok guys I got the gas tank removed without taking the bed off and emptied and cleaned and replaced, only a few things I think missing like I was talking about in the above post.
The truck starts and runs real rough, it wont stay running on its own and the check engine light is on.
But here is the pic of the connection that I cant find where it goes, maybe this is vaccume and not leting the motor idle or stay running on its own.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/Tbalcustoms/truckpart.jpg

If you zoom in its in the bottom right corner, I put a circle around it.
Thanks for your help guys

Last edited:

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Your descriptions are horrible. you need some good books or to look at another similarly equipped ranger.

If the truck has sit for 4 years the gas is all but unusable. The truck needs fresh gas.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
ok guys I got the gas tank removed without taking the bed off and emptied and cleaned and replaced, only a few things I think missing like I was talking about in the above post.
The truck starts and runs real rough, it wont stay running on its own and the check engine light is on.
But here is the pic of the connection that I cant find where it goes, maybe this is vaccume and not leting the motor idle or stay running on its own.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/Tbalcustoms/truckpart.jpg

If you zoom in its in the bottom right corner, I put a circle around it.
Thanks for your help guys
ive seen that hose before on a ranger. and i honestly cant say i know where it goes. check the spark plugs. see if they are fouled. truck maybe misfiring. also your throttle body looks a little dirty, not a huge deal, but you might wanna clean it up.

T-bal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
sorry guys trying to do the best on descriptions, the pic is the old motor I took out, it just had the most visible pic of what I was trying to show, I know why your screen name is almost clueless, should be clueless, I said I replaced the gas with fresh gas, I took the tank off and cleaned it. I wouldnt have started it with 4 year old gas.
As for the throttle body ,that one is the old one, I cleaned the one on the motor now and it has new plugs in it now. So thats why I was thinking this part that is not hooked up is something causing it to run bad and not stay running.
Thanks for the imput.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm. i'd get a scanner and get the codes from it. we cant really know whats wrong right off the bat with few clues.

:/

good luck.

T-bal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
do you guys know where I can pick up a scanner and about how much they cost?

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Over beside your master cylinder there is supposed to be an evaporative emissions valve. That is where the hoses go. Also the hole in the intake hose is supposed to have a tube that goes over where you put oil in the valve cover. The vacumn thingy you were talking about is probably the schader fitting to check fuel pressure with.
Good luck
John

T-bal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
wvcat your on your game, I looked at another truck today and thats is where it goes ,Thank you.
Thanks for the scanner info Robin hood

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
no problem and good luck :D

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Glad I could help :)
John

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals