• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

somthings over heating?

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my trucks temp gage risses and then drops off to normal which it has allways done this but now when it goes back to normal, it will again rise and when it rises it will down shift(auto), the temp will go down and it will shift on. i looked for obvious leaks and i saw some fluid residue around the cap on the radiator. it stayed like this constant for a while, and the yesterday i noticed a noise that sounds like a plastic bag caught in mower blades, it sound as if it were comming from the rear of the engine( the best i could tell ). its weird because that was a one time thing, after i turned it off and let it set, it never did it again and when it made the noise, the temp didnt go up. i decided to try driving in Drive instead of Overdrive to see if it made a difference and now there is major hesitation, clunk and im moving.... over drive still works relativly fine so i really have no idea whats going on, could the trans be overheating? or is it just a mess of unrelated problems?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
check your fan clutch.
ALso...see if your tranny fuild is up to proper level.

see if you have or had something wraped around the drive shaft.

maybe time for new thermostat.

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
tranny fluid looked good, err good level anyway, it was a bit dark. the thermostat was one of my original ideas. thanks for the help

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
If you have factory guages?? others here will mention that they are NOT the most accurate...aset of mechanical gauges will give better feedback, exspecially if this a Gen1 unit

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i got it back from the shop and they feel the transmision is on its way out, im not sure weither it was overheating or not, it did have that coolent smell

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals