• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Solid motor mounts??

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is anyone using solid motor mounts in their v8 Ranger builds?

I built a set for the latest updates to my 1985 351W Ranger. I've not noticed any ill effects in vibration being transferred to the frame. The body is in rubber so I'm not suprised in having not seen a change in that area. It does eliminate the motor rocking without the truck moving. I like seeing the front left lift when the torque is applied!!

Just wondered what others may have experienced.

:3gears: Love that smiley!! Can't wait for spring to arrive!!

Last edited:

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i put em in my 94. i love it. a little more shaky but not bad. better than the motor moving all over the place and i had to put another radiator in it from using the convertible mounts. they were about as stout as using a sponge as a mount

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Just make sure to use a solid trans mount or you will be having some problems in the future. That is where most of the misconceptions arise with solid engine mounts. You have to have the same type of mount for engine and trans.

Matt

Dan B.

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just make sure to use a solid trans mount or you will be having some problems in the future.
Problems...such as??

Only problem I am having since the completion of this phase it the tranny puking fluid from the vent...this only happens when really wrenching on it. Too much line pressure? Your thoughts?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The problem is you engine won't flex around on the mounts while the transmission will be able to. You are going to fatigue something, whether it is your engine mounts, the mounting bosses on the block, the bellhousing, pretty much anything between the engine mount and transmission mount is fair game. Granted you might be able to get away with a isolated mount forever but it's pretty much a rule to use the same kind of mount for both engine and transmission. I considered solid mounts but the Ranger frame isn't strong enough to solid mount it with so much power. My frame twists when I mash the gas, I can't solid mount an engine to a frame the twist all around under power; something will break.

What trans are you using? Aside from line pressure, is it overfilled or underfilled? If it's not over or under then what must be happening is somehow the fluid is retuning faster then it is being pumped, how that would happen is beyond me.

Matt

Last edited:

Dan B.

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What trans are you using?
Using a C4 w/ TCI Saturday Night Special convertor. I think the fluid level is what is getting me. I filled it in the correct manner, ran for about 30 minutes and checked it in gear...level was fine. Took it to PRP (the old Keystone Raceway) the next day and after several passes it started huffing out some fluid onto the exhaust when run really hard...not in 1 or 2, but in 3rd at about the 1000ft mark....smokey mess. Checked it out and the fluid was high so I trailered it for the afternoon. Drained some out via a cooler line when I got home until it was at the full mark, waited until dark...then maybe...just maybe someone :D took it out thrashed the local roads a little to see how she would run. Came back and found that it was still wet, wiped everything clean and checked the level...high again!!

Now how in the freak would this be possible?!

At that point the snow was starting to fly so I garaged it for the winter and will deal with it in the spring.

Twisting the frame? And you are in Altoona...I need to see this truck! Is there any chance it was in State College a while back? Saw one similar to your signature description about 2 yrs ago.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the fluid is still high. The cooler doesn't happen to be the type that's in the radiator is it? If so, stop running it or the tranny will be shot; good chance coolant is getting into the transmission cooler part; coolant will wipe out all the clutches very quickly. If you have a separate cooler then keep taking fluid out and checking it; your problem should go away then. Yes I used to live in State College about 2 years ago. I've made quite a few improvements since then. If I can manage to get any grip on a hard launch, my left front tire will lift about a foot off the ground. I'm getting ready to begin the next phase of this truck, it's not going to be street legal anymore; it only passes now because I have a few connections.

Matt

Dan B.

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I run a remote cooler. I leave the radiator to cooling what it needs to...coolant!!

I'll have to scoot out when I get the Ranger licensed and take a look. Was through Altoona yesterday on my way to Osceola Mills.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
One of these days we'll probably cross paths.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals