• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SWPA Noob...with Ranger pics

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is the 3rd generation of the truck that started life as a 1984 2wd, 4cyl, auto Ranger. Got it in a two-truck deal and kept this for a possible future project. After getting a 1976 LTD2 donor car, I had the parts to start a 351W swap. I call her "crossbreed". After three months of building I ended up spending a total of $1300 for the initial conversion....gen 1. The driveline consisted of a REALLY tired 2bbl 351W, FMX tranny, Mopar 8.75" rear loaded w/ 3.91 SureGrip (narrowed 15"), and S-10 rear springs. It sits on 15x10" rear wheels and can hardly be noticed.

Gen 2 consisted up swapping the FMX for a C4 loaded with all kinds of goodies and building the motor w/ WP 2.02/1.60 heads, .030 over KB slugs, Edelbrock intake, Crane roller goodies and Carter AFB 625. Also swapped out the 3.91's for 3.23's which made it MUCH nicer to cruise. That all took place in about 4 weeks.

Gen 3 started four years ago...kid and house came along so all progress stopped. In Sept I started and finished this phase. Upgraded the cam to a .512 lift Crane, fuel cell, batt reloc'd to the bed, Holley Red pump, bigger fuel lines and swapped on a 1985 cab and bed from a MD truck that is in excellent shape. My 1984 stuff was getting rough. I also boxed the frame from the spring towers back about 2' to make room for the Hooker Super Comps...which were still no where close to fitting. So it's still through the mani's and 2" pipes which is really slowing it down. With 27.5" radials and 3.23's I made one pass less than 12hr's after completing the build and went 13.9@99mph. After that I let the kid who helped me race it...he was bad...nuff said. With headers, tuning, Air Gap intake and better carb it will rock! also plan on swapping to 3.55's and 26" ET Streets...both of which are in the garage just waiting to get installed.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Black Widow '90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
welcome aboard and nice truck:)

MAXDA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snow and no blower motor.we dont dont need no stinky blower motor we have power.SWEET TRUCK

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
now that there be a bad @$$ ride!! welcome aboard!!

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks guys. I'll upload more pics when I get the chance. I have a complete mod'd blower housing in my other cab...along with a sweet 160mph SVO speedo. The speedo will get moved over but the blower will not! I'll be smoothing that over and using some sort of under the dash unit....we'll see what I can come up with.

I like fast cars and trucks that perfect the whole "sleeper" look and that is what I wanted to do with this truck from the start. It's thrashed more than it's share of modern era "muscle" cars than I care to mention. When asked what's under the hood...I just point at the V6 badges on the fender!

I totally forgot the mention...this is just one of my V8's Rangers. I have a 1988 4wd ex-cab with 4" lift, 3.73's, 31x10.5's and a 302. It also has a dump kit under the bed and 2 leafs added to each side. I use it for hauling coal and firewood. She's not much to look at but I'll add a pic of it also. Sure does get curious looks when I'm fully loaded with a ton of coal and passing trucks running empty going up hill!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals