• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cuts out and bucks

901wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Fuel sippin 4.9
Transmission
Manual
90 ranger 2.3 8 plugger 5 spd just got it a few days ago I wont have it forever but I gotta get this shyt running better

under part throttle acceleration 1500 - 2500 rpms no tach I'm guessing it cuts out and bucks then resumes normal running engine has power at wot lol also have to rev it good to get going or it will stall or sputter for a bit the clutch cant be happy about that

ran the codes koeo

21 ect out of self test range
22 map out of self test range
23 tps out of self test range
42 hego sensor indicates system rich
52 psps circuit open? umm it doesnt have power steering lol

whats this out of self test range nonsense?

all the wires look fine no brokin or disconnected vac line except for the warm air intake flapper thats gone

runs really cold also I covered 3/4 of the rad with cardboard and the guage actually moved so im thinkin the t stat is gone gonna check that out tommorrow

I dont want to dump a few hundred into this thing on sensors and crap if I dont have to but i gotta get it running proper

any pointers?

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
its probably youre evap canister. mine does the same thing and pops the code 144 or some shit. took it some were and had them clear the code for me.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
ran the codes koeo

21 ect out of self test range
22 map out of self test range
23 tps out of self test range
42 hego sensor indicates system rich
52 psps circuit open? umm it doesnt have power steering lol

whats this out of self test range nonsense?
Out of self test range indicates that the computer thinks that the sensor is working but the sensor is not reporting a reading that the computer can use. (i.e. if the computer is told that the ECT should be reporting a voltage between 1.2 and 4.5 volt but it's actually reporting .9 volt)

Generally speaking, with so many sensors reporting out of range, I'd start by looking at the wiring. It sounds like your not getting a full 5 volt on the V+ power wire.

901wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Fuel sippin 4.9
Transmission
Manual
picked up a new MAP sensor and tried installing it got the wrong part so i went in the garage and grabbed one for a B2 looked the same installed it and It runs great smooth power 22mpg

changed the plugs and wires as well found that 2 plugs are not firing but its ok for now also uses a bit of oil it only smokes a lil when I'm getting on it when its wound up

drove it to jersey and back no problems other than a lil coolant purge but thats fine for now

destroy452

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 & 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had an f150 that did that and it was the tps. hmmm. go figure

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My Tempo did the same thing...MAP sensor...went to the JY and asked if they had any...they had a barrel full of them...two for $5...cleared up the problem...

Ford wanted something like $192 for a new one...glad it was just the map sensor though...easy fix...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals