• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Gauge

Automan1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a 91 ranger and the fuel gauge isn't working. I haven't had a chance to look in to it yet since it is my bro's truck, but I was just wondering if this is a common problem and if there is an easy fix. Also is there any tests that I should start with? The gauge just reads between E and 1/4. Any suggestions would help.

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Start by unbolting the bed & slide it back. Take the filler neck screws out first. Undo the lines going to the tank & remove the sending unit carefully. There is a plastic cover protecting the electric sending unit wiper arm that is connected to the float arm. Clean the wper arm contact with an eraser on a #2 pencil by rubbing it lightly. Spray some barke cleaner of contact cleaner on it after & reinstall the plastic cover. Inspect the brass float carefully for miniature holes as these floats have been known to leak. If the float is leaking(you can tell by shaking it & listening for liguid inside it), go to Ford & get a new one. They are around $10.00 each. Once you install the float in the metal holder, solder it in place so it won't move. BE CAREFULL soldering it as too much heat will melt a hole in the thin brass. Use very LOW HEAT wehn soldering it. It only takes a very samll amount of solder to hold it. I have fixed more then 50 of these sending units in the past 3 yrs for people. If you go to AutoZone they entire uint is over 150.00. A little time & patience can save you a bunch of money.

rangerous

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

Ive had the same problem as well im anxious to try this when i get enough time to do it!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Start by unbolting the bed & slide it back. Take the filler neck screws out first. Undo the lines going to the tank & remove the sending unit carefully. There is a plastic cover protecting the electric sending unit wiper arm that is connected to the float arm. Clean the wper arm contact with an eraser on a #2 pencil by rubbing it lightly. Spray some barke cleaner of contact cleaner on it after & reinstall the plastic cover. Inspect the brass float carefully for miniature holes as these floats have been known to leak. If the float is leaking(you can tell by shaking it & listening for liguid inside it), go to Ford & get a new one. They are around $10.00 each. Once you install the float in the metal holder, solder it in place so it won't move. BE CAREFULL soldering it as too much heat will melt a hole in the thin brass. Use very LOW HEAT wehn soldering it. It only takes a very samll amount of solder to hold it. I have fixed more then 50 of these sending units in the past 3 yrs for people. If you go to AutoZone they entire uint is over 150.00. A little time & patience can save you a bunch of money.
is unbolting and sliding the bed, back, allot easier than, dropping the tank...
I've dropped tanks, before, on other non pickup vehicles to replace sending unit floats...

my ranger's gas gauge isn't working either, and have been thinking about replacing my float, too... and would like to do it the easiest way, possible, if you think sliding the bed back is easier, than dropping the tank...

Last edited:

broken2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
has anybody else done this? im sick of using the odo for a gas gauge.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
is unbolting and sliding the bed, back, allot easier than, dropping the tank...
I've dropped tanks, before, on other non pickup vehicles to replace sending unit floats...

my ranger's gas gauge isn't working either, and have been thinking about replacing my float, too... and would like to do it the easiest way, possible, if you think sliding the bed back is easier, than dropping the tank...
Having done it both ways, on a Ranger I'll pull the bed hands down over dropping the tank. That's my preference; others may prefer dropping it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals