• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB Install Leap of Faith

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok here I go. My first dilemma was, were to mount the antenna. I opted for a HOOD CHANNEL MOUNT for the F150, I did the measurements and it should work fine. A FireStik FS 2' Antenna and Firestik CB Coax (Crimped End) - 18 Feet.

The next dilemma was, where to mount the CB. It's a Cobra 29 LTD (full size CB). Anyone that owns an 02 knows that the places for mounting this size radio is limited. I opted to mount it between the mini console and the seat, on the "hump". I opted for THIS bracket. I figure in order to make this all work, I would have to mount it almost standing on it's tail. This bracket will do it. Oh, the image is almost an optical illusion, I spoke with their sales folks and they know it's a bit skewed, but assured me it will fit the Cobra 29 LTD and mount the way I am expecting.

Now, 18' of cable is way over kill, but my understanding is that you want to keep the entire length, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to put the excess? I would assume being radio equipment, that I don't want to create any sort of Faraday cage or tank circuit that would interfere with the performance of the system. Anyone got any thoughts there?

ChrisW6ATV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It is really better to have only the cable length you need rather than to leave the excess in place. Since that cable and mount appear to just use ring terminals, it should not be hard to cut and strip the cable end, leaving just enough for a little slack (1-2 feet maybe) in place. If you do want to keep the full length, just coil it up at either end into a roll about 6 inches or so in diameter, wherever it will fit safely and out of the way, with tie straps or electrical tape.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Agreed 100%.

That 18-foot thing is a myth that still seems to propagate around for some reason. As long as the antenna has a good RF ground, the length of coax shouldn't matter (outside of: the shorter the better).

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Good info, I'm pretty handy with crimper's and a soldering iron.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You just gotta look at the image right, its coming from the bottom :p

Good luck, be sure to post pics!

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You just gotta look at the image right, its coming from the bottom :p

Good luck, be sure to post pics!
Will do!

I have a couple of concerns, one being the sliding 60/40 seat, I need to be mindful of not letting it hit the radio in it's way. Second is my right knee. In rough terrain, it may be bouncing against the radio in that location. We'll have to see how it works out.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, 60/40 seats are pointless... the only thing you could fit in the middle is a smurf... check out my profile, I have some pics of where my CB is mounted.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, 60/40 seats are pointless... the only thing you could fit in the middle is a smurf... check out my profile, I have some pics of where my CB is mounted.
Yeah, your mounting choice was the first I tried, I had seen it in a previous thread. Unfortunately, my unit is about twice as wide and won't mount like that.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about taking that long mount of yours, and putting it right on the front of the console/cupholders? It might put stress on the plastic with all that weight though...

gcfishguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual

ChrisW6ATV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
When I installed my first CB radio at home about 1980, I made sure to use a multiple of 18 feet for my coax cable length. Later, I learned that all it accomplishes (if it even does this) is to make your SWR reading at the end of the coax cable match the actual SWR at the antenna. You should tune the antenna for low SWR in any case, and then the actual reading at the end of the coax will not be important. Low versus not-low is what matters.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You forgot to say, "Pardon the pun..."
Sorry, just had to....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_propagation
lol, yeah huh... :icon_twisted:

Yeah, different lengths of coax can cause your SWR reading to change IF your antenna isn't grounded good or doesn't have a proper termination at the antenna (this is usually because of the coax trying to act as part of the antenna (RF energy running down the outside of the shield), which it isn't supposed to, and will affect your radiation pattern). A properly installed (well-grounded) antenna system will keep this from occurring.

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Scotty, we mounted my 29 under the dash, just below the AC and heat controls.

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
You got pics?
Yeah, but mom still has'nt got them loaded onto the site yet, and I wouldn't know where to start, I'm computer illiterate. Just bear with me. BTW that plastic has held that big radio for about 5 years now.:D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals