• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mounting on bumper.

dauphija#99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
I am looking to get a new cb antenna. Instead of mounting it on my roof like last time i am thinking of mounting it on my rear bumper on the left closest to the edge as possible. Have any of you guys done this? and have you had any troubles with it(cops) and any problems with it being on your bumper?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
used to be a popular place to mount them. there were clips that mounted to the window gutter so you could pull the 102" whips down and hook them there for parking garages, etc. never heard of any conflicts with the law no matter where you mount it. and as long as the mounting is solid, can't imagine any other problems with it there. just remember your greatest gain (range) will be to the front, right of your truck, just opposite of where your antenna is mounted.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
FWIW, I have mine mounted on my fender, on the drivers side, with a 4ft firestik, and I get about 8 miles range... if you check out my profile, theres a photo album on there for it... there was a gentlemen on the forum who mounted his on his pickup bed, and used an existing bolt for the tailgate to hold it on, I can't seem to find the thread, but its a teal lifted pickup, around a 94 or something I think.

Good luck!

dauphija#99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
used to be a popular place to mount them. there were clips that mounted to the window gutter so you could pull the 102" whips down and hook them there for parking garages, etc. never heard of any conflicts with the law no matter where you mount it. and as long as the mounting is solid, can't imagine any other problems with it there. just remember your greatest gain (range) will be to the front, right of your truck, just opposite of where your antenna is mounted.
Do you mean i wont get the distance I could be getting by mounting it there.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, I have mine mounted on my fender, on the drivers side, with a 4ft firestik, and I get about 8 miles range... if you check out my profile, theres a photo album on there for it... there was a gentlemen on the forum who mounted his on his pickup bed, and used an existing bolt for the tailgate to hold it on, I can't seem to find the thread, but its a teal lifted pickup, around a 94 or something I think.

Good luck!
haha, just realized that you were talking about me :D

dauphija#99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
Nathan I am going to steal your idea I love it.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
haha, just realized that you were talking about me :D
Yep, good thing you chimed in too, cause I wasn't sure what your thread was called...:icon_twisted:

Edit: Hell yeah! I thought your truck was a 94, that was a good guess...

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the most gain (range) follows where the most metal is on your truck. mount it in any corner and the most range will be toward the opposite corner. the metal on your truck becomes a ground plane and the gain will follow where there is the most metal serving as your ground.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you mean i wont get the distance I could be getting by mounting it there.
You'll get the best transmission area by putting the antenna in the center of the largest/tallest flat surface. This is because the antenna uses that surface as a plane to transmit.

If you mount the antenna on the right rear bumper, it will significantly affect the transmission (think very little to the rear and right), and if it doesn't exceed the height of the cab, it'll choke the transmission forward, too.

Unless you plan on using a 102" whip, this is a bad place for antenna placement.

dauphija#99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
You'll get the best transmission area by putting the antenna in the center of the largest/tallest flat surface. This is because the antenna uses that surface as a plane to transmit.

If you mount the antenna on the right rear bumper, it will significantly affect the transmission (think very little to the rear and right), and if it doesn't exceed the height of the cab, it'll choke the transmission forward, too.

Unless you plan on using a 102" whip, this is a bad place for antenna placement.
what about where nathan has his antenna with the bracket above the tail light? is that a bad spot?
you guys are helping alot I would be lost, hence why Iasked on here first.

Last edited:

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
I am by no means an expert, but all I use my CB for is trail riding, and close proximity use with buddies, Im not looking to get mileS out of my unit. For what I want it works. Im sure there is a better spot, but this worked for me, and I like it.

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
x2 what Nathan said, you build out your communications like you build your truck... you build it to your needs. if it's only short range talking you need, then it doesn't matter much where the antenna goes. if you spend a lot of time on the freeway, then longer range will take priority. so, figure out what you really want it to do for you and go from there. seems like most of the information you need is already posted here for you to get the most out of it no matter what your using it for. so, just go for it and have fun!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The biggest thing is to make sure the antenna is tuned for a good SWR (standing wave ratio) wherever you do mount it. Otherwise it could potentially damage your radio.
SWR meters can be had for around $20 last time I checked.

dauphija#99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, big help. I am going to mount it where nathan has his. Its mostly for close or pretty close chats. thanks guys again big help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals