• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not Dead Yet

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well I'm finally digging back out the old ranger for some more work I've been putting off for a while. As soon as i get the pad I'm going to work on in cleared off the front end is going to come out and get replaced with a jeep d30. Yes I know that the axle is weaker than a 44 but my trucks got a 28 in it and I've wheeled it for years with 33s on it and haven't broken it yet, I just want more articulation out of it. after i get it done i am going to level the rear most likely with 63" Brand X springs. but first things first got to get it running again. Hopefully my dad and i can get it up on the pad and the ttb cut out of it tomorrow.

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First off Photobucket Hates me so some of the pics are screwed up:annoyed:
She lives!!! Got it out and ready to work on. what i did to her before she got parked.
- 33-12.5 15 Dunlap mud rovers on 15X10 wheels
- Visor with ICC lighting in the front
- Rear bumper made out of 2"X8" 3/16" tubing
- Headache rack made out of 2" trailer hitch tubing with aluminum light strip with led lights.
- Bushwhacker 6" cut out fender flares
- CB radio
- Tucked the exhaust up above the bottom of the frame to keep it from getting ripped off
- Driving light in the grille hooked up to the a/c switch on the dash
- Side turn signals

-Side turn signals

- Front Visor

- Light bar

Bumper height before sas
-Rear

-Front

Last edited:

84_Nor*Cal_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lookin good. your project sounds nice. what size lift do u have if any.

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks it doesn't have a suspension lift just a small body lift the cut out flares make the huge tires fit

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
more stuff done

- out with the old

-rolled the d30 under just to check spring locations tires are only on there to roll it under so i didn't drag it (got knows i abused the jeep it came out of enough)

- Way high cause its on stands by the time i drop it a little bit and put the 33's back on it it should sit level again

- Links I'm going to be using they are from a Rubicon Express 8" xj long arm kit

84_Nor*Cal_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow lookin good i wish i had the money to do the d30 swap or at least get some 31's on my truck. i'll be watching this closely. btw how much did those long arms cost? and how close are the coils to lining up?

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i bought those arms about 3 years ago :icon_rofl: they cost about 600 but if i bend one i can just by it instead of having to fab a new one. as for the coils they sit in the ranger buckets really nice just have to remove the tabs for the ranger spring and put a pipe down the middle to retain the jeep spring or if I'm lazy and have some extra money i know a spring shop that can make me some coils with the jeep twist at the bottom and the ranger one at the top, but you know how it goes.

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh and i forgot to mention that for now im going to be using a factory v6 xj coil hoping for it to sit level with the back for now then ill lift it when i get money for the right springs.

84_Nor*Cal_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
oh hope it works out. i was thinkin about using ranger springs and making a new lower mount. or some thing like that i like the ride that the ranger springs have

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You cant use ranger springs they are way to stiff, about 460 pounds per inch where the xjs are about 280 ppi. You have to remember that the ttb has a 1.5 to 1 advantage over the spring which require the heavier spring rate. with the factory xj coil i am looking at about 2" or so of lift over stock.

Ok update time. Figured out where to mount my links, they are long enough that i have to mount them behind the trans crossmember ( ya i know wacky driveline angles) I am making my own brackets out of 3/16" and 1/4" plate and securing it to the frame with 4 3/8" bolts per side and making a crossmember to replace the factory tranfercase skidplate. I also decided that i am going to modify the stock ranger buckets to accept the xj coils. That way if i want to lift it i can just use longer coils for the xj.

84_Nor*Cal_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cool i didnt think about about all that. but i know you have better knowledge about it than me. your project is now my motivation. i just found a xj with the non cad axle and i have a friend with a set of 4.10 gears for it and a ranger i might get cheap all i need is links and to study a good steering system. by the way where in California are you from? keep up the good progress it looks good :icon_welder:

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm up in grass valley about an hour and a half east from sac. as for the steering I'm told that the passenger side tie rod end off the ranger will fit in the xj steering links and replace the rod end at the Pittman arm. this in theory should make the xj linkage work if you don't have too much lift. otherwise there is a crossover steering in my future. as for links you could probably make your own set but i like the fact that i can just buy another without having to build it.

84_Nor*Cal_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ya access to replacement parts is the best way to think about things. well hope things come together easyer than it looks.

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yay it moves sorry no pics yet but ive been busy planing my wedding soo. anyway i ended up using the rear springs off off a ford areostar van. will try to get pics up tomorrow.

cowboy181d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Hello all My name is Damen. And I have adopted the old ranger in this write-up! My best friend jim who put many many loving hours into this build has intrusted me to finish this truck. I have always loved this truck we have had some good wheeling trips in it. We decided in lieu of selling this tuck to trade rigs, he got my 88 3/4ton burb to swap a cummins into.And I took the ranger so I could tear my cummins f-350 down for a rebuild! I just thought I would finish this build thread. So as she sits now, it is a full runner driver, axle was installed, steering done(he nailed the steering and angles!!!) I have a set of fox long travel shocks ready to install just as soon as I build some hoops, I am planning on adding day star stinger bump stops for the front jounce stops, and a set of limit straps(don't want to but fox's are spendy lol!) went out and bought a 91 eddie bauer exp. today for the 4.0l 8.8 and interior going to do the explorer leaf swap and 4.0 swap here are a couple of pics jim and I snapped here in my drive way the other day!

just about let out!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals