• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New, have a couple questions

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't ask with out doing research. Well I have looked around and decided that my first upgrades are going to be leafs, coils, and front and rear axles from an Explorer, then I will most likely order some 4.10 gears cause I doubt I will find an axle in the junk yard with them. Now I was wondering when I upgrade the front from a 28 to the 35, will my manual hubs be alright or do I need to upgrade those too? And how much of the stuff is a direct swap, and how much needs some fab work?

Also on a side note. There are more Explorers in the junk yard here than Rangers and Broncos so will the window regulator and motor work from an Explorer to my Bronco?

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
28 and 35 hubs are different. if you look around the j/y you might find an explorer with manual hubs and 3:73 gears. Perhaps even a rear with an l/s. If you could live with the 3:73's you could save yourself a few bucks.

Don't know about the window regulator.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm also not sure about the regulator question, but what I like to do if I'm not sure if go to Advanced or AZ's web site, look up the same part for both, and it they both list with the same part number, it will swap over.

As for the axle, you will need the whole axle, hub to hub. Brakes don't swap, hubs don't swap. I'm not sure about radius arms, but might as well get them too just to be safe.

Explorer front coils won't really get you any lift, get 150 coils and modify the buckets.

One more thing, just a suggestion for your own convenience, if you are getting axles with 3.73s or 3.45 (the most common ratios) and you want 4.10s, wait to put the axles on your truck until you re-gear them. It's not necessary, you can definitely re-gear in the truck, but it's a lot easier to do with the axle on a pair of saw-horses rather than in the truck on jack stands.

One other suggestion (and again, not necessary, just my $.02) if you end up needing to buy hubs, might as well spring for the Jeep hubs. They have a heavier case and are stronger because they go on the rear axle but fit the D-35 TTB front end that Ford used.

Last edited:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. Yeah I won't be attempting anything until I have all the pieces and I will be installing the gears before putting the axle on. The axles will be down the road, but hopefully still this year. First off is the 2" lift.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals