• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas Tank Question + ('94 B-3000)

HilaryP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I filled up at a full-service place manned by another female. She wouldn't let me swipe my own credit card, and she watched me put in my code. I say this because I didn't trust her. Then she filled the tank, kept filling even after it was full, and told me my gas tank had a leak.

She got me to look at a stream coming down from the tank. She told me I should get it fixed. The problem is that when I fill my tank (self-serve), there is never any leak--and I fill it to the top but don't overfill it.

I just had so much body work done on this truck but will sell it for parts if I have to. If a tank doesn't drip when you fill it up, should you believe someone who just kept filling when it wouldn't take anymore? Thanks.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It is typical for the rubber filler pipe on the 1993-up trucks to crack where it's clamped to the fuel tank.

If you stop at the first automatic cutoff this isn't usually a problem.

but if you stop at the first automatic cutoff you never get the tank "full"

because Rangers are often "Twitchy" about what point they trip that automatic stop.

AD

AD

HilaryP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
God, am I grateful, AllanD. Does this mean there isn't *necessarily* a major problem? I don't want to expose myself or other people to an unsafe vehicle, but I just don't know how you'd handle a problem like this if you took it to a mechanic, and the problem turned out major after all. I wanted to "run out" the truck this year and don't want to sink more money into a sixteen-year-old vehicle.

If you took it to a mechanic and it wasn't the rubber filler pipe, would you just have to junk the truck then and there? Is the rubber filler pipe expensive to replace?

Thank you so very much for answering me.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i see you live in ne pa, i live in south east ny, i have one from a 94 still on a truck, its a super cab if they are different.... you can have it if you come get it yourself and take it off. the neck that is

jmeineck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hilary,

Here is the thing. Assuming your fuel gauge is working correctly, if your fuel gauge reads full when the pump auto shuts off then your tank is full. If the tank isn't leaking at that point! Your tank is safe. Just because you can overfill a gas tank doesn't mean that is a safe practice and just because your fill tube leak when the gas attendant overfill your tank doesn't mean you have a problem.

If your fill tube was leaking while fulling the tank then I would worry about the fill tube being cracked. If the pump shut off before the tank was full and there was leakage I would say you had a problem, but with your description above it sounds to me like the gas attendant was at fault for making you gas tank leak and they didn't want you to get mad at them so they blamed it on your tank having a problem.

HilaryP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
J and Pillen, Thank you guys. My fuel gauge hasn't worked in five years, but TRS guys told me how to work around that (I just set the mileage to zero every time I fill up). I never drove it to empty (230 miles per tank, that is), but I drive it to around 210. The point being that it has *never* leaked, and females notice this, because last year, it upchucked while I was filling it and went all over my dress, and I went to work probably pretty flammable. Pillen, thank you very much for the offer. This truck rides so good, you would never know it's sixteen.

I'm saying thank you prayers for all you guys, even if God crashed and burned in the mountains!!!

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
im with these guys, the filler neck rubber is probably cracked and leaks when you over fill it. the part is available from Dorman products and other similar vendors. here is a link to the part so you can have a better visual of what were talking about and where the failure is occuring. http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-11874-577-902.aspx?pymmeid=2569752
as you can see in the picture you have the end where your gas cap goes on (fill end) and at the other end you can see there is a hose clamp and a smaller hose coming out of the large hose. the small hose is actually the one that the gas travels though as it goes into your tank, and the larger hose is a "vent tube", which generally cracks around the hose clamp portion. when you over fill it the fuel starts to come out of the tank and occupy the lower portion of the "vent hose", causing it to leak out of the cracks. the replacement filler neck retails for around $140 at most parts stores.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37621&page=32
heres some more real world pics of how it gets attached, i hope that this info helps you out.

Last edited:

HilaryP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, F.O.R.D.:) I don't think anyone will ever know how much I have learned on TRS since 2004. All the way from my water pump and tensioner to rotor springs(?) to how to drive without a fuel gauge to--I could go on and on. You guys are true gentlemen. Just knowing a simple word can keep a female from getting ripped off. God bless!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals