• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger owner needs help

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I have some questions about the 2.8L v6. Okay so I have a 1984 Ranger base model long bed 2.8 5 speed manual transmission. Now my engine has almost 150,000 miles on it and I am slowly replacing just about every part on it.

Here’s the story, I bought my ranger back in July in a county without smog and had to license it in one that did. I replaced the carb, oil, filters, plugs, wires and a few other things. I took it into my school where I am learning to be a mechanic. I had my instructor look at it and I did a lot of work on it. I adjusted valves and reworked the vac lines. I also rebuilt my fuel system from tank to carb. My fuel tank sending unit I rebuilt it and posted it here on the forums already.

I had the thing tweaked just enough to pass emissions but I am only getting 7.5 mpg. I thought it might be the egr valve so I took it off and tested it and cleaned it up and it still works fine. I haven’t checked the compression yet but I fear the worst. It runs smoothly but not enough it seems. I replaced the egr position sensor and checked the solenoid. My choke isn’t working right so it was adjusted out.

So anyway, I really want to keep my truck no matter the price but I don’t want to do a lot of customizing to it. (Motor swap etc.) I took a look in the tech library at all the 2.8 stuff and I have questions. Even though I just put a 400 dollar carb on this SOB, I want to know if I bought and installed that offenhouser intake that I could get an adapter to use a 2 barrel carburetor. This has nothing to do with power or anything (for now) I just want mileage because I am traveling 40+ miles per day and will continue to do so for at least another year and a half. I took a look at my stock intake and it looks like the mounting place for my carb is separate from the intake and is just bolted in. and on this plate it has the place for the egr valve. If I replace the intake and or carb in the next year I need an egr valve for emissions. can i get an adapter for that? or is there a way around it?

Question number two. I want to rebuild my motor in another 50,000 miles. What is the best setup for my ranger for good mileage and power? I want to use the cylinder repair sleeves so I can use the stock ring size and pistons. But I want to stay with a carb setup because I think it is too much for me to swap over to FI. What is the best carb for this engine? Do you have any ideas? Has anyone done this?

Is it worth keeping my 2.8 because it is nearly impossible to find parts for it. I want to tweak it enough to make it so that the parts work well together but are readily available. I want to upgrade to duraspark or something better than this EEC IV shit and I want to get rid of this smog crap in a year. And put headers on and get it running really well ya know?

I bought this as a test. Can I rebuild this thing? Can I make it better? Can I do anything to help the condition of this poor neglected Ranger? I am stumped right now. I need reassurance cuz if I cant make this work I may trade in for a chevy or dodge. I don’t want to cuz I have put over 1000$ into it and to be honest despite the mileage thing I love this truck. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well the first thing is the facet that you engine might not be the problem. (Does the truck have large tires like 33" or even 35", What is the gearing in the axles?)
And for gas millage Why would you want to put on a 4 barrel carb? the offenhouser... never mind i didn't realize they updated the page. You can get adapters to bring it to a 2 barrel setup but it says you wont be able to keep you egr valve it would be too high for your hood.

I am doing a FI converstion currently on my truck and it is not that hard if you know what you are doing and take your time.

You can make it better by putting good parts in it or swapping out for another engine. They are great engines when you get them running though but i would do a duraspark converstion or FI swap to get rid of all the wires and vaccum lines.( or most of them anyway)

Good luck maybe someone else can solve your mileage problem cause i haven't had any problems with mine cept it doesn't like cold weather.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oh Yeah, Wecome to TRS man. Also I have the exact same truck so ask me anything if i can't i know someone else can.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks

thanks man. and trust me I will have a ton of questions

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
welcome to trs
im in the same baot your inso thanks for askin wat i too need to know
any help i can be i will

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
same boat. I rebuilt my 2.8...now has a holley, headers, ported/polished heads, msd, pinto dist. getting about 20 mpg...duraspark or better is the way to go..there's plenty of help on here. Parts for rebuild are out there. Full gasket sets also...

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Eesh!

If it were me I would have spent the 1000 putting a low mileage 4.0 in there with a mazda 5-spd. That would give all kinds of power and 20 mpg at least. To each his own though.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think im getting 14 mpg now

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As someone else asked what is your gearing, current tire size and stock tire size? IMHO if you are going to stick with a 2bbl stick with the stock manifold. A 2bbl carb on the offy won't be able to take advantage of the dual plane feature, which basically makes it a waste of 3-4 hundred bucks. I can't really help you though as I've never had to worry with emissions testing, and I'm not exactly concerned about mileage with the carb and cam I'm going to be running.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IIRC I was getting 14-15 before the rebuild. Since the only major component that has changed is the cam it'll be interesting to see what I get now. Hopefully I'll be able to start finding out tomorrow.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I have the stock gearing im not sure. as for the tires i got p225/70r15

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some quick answers for now. I have to pass California smog that requires all original equipment and when it runs right, it runs great. I'm getting a little better than 19 MPG with mixed city and highway driving; 5 speed about 3:20 rear end.
As for rebuilding, I did one complete rebuild and one overhaul with expanded pistons, no machine work (except heads and ridge ream) new cam, bearings and rings. It ran as well as a complete rebuild and would last almost as long - but a lot cheaper. Talk to a machine shop for guidance on this.
These are great engines that last for many miles. Not big powerhouses, but very reliable.

Good luck

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been thinking about swapping in a 4.0 V6 into this thing but im not sure if it would be worth all the mods to this little old truck. I think I want to get a newer ranger with a 4.0
im not sure yet since I still have one more year and emission test to go.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a couple things. 150,000 mi. isn't really that many mile for a 2.8. I have one with 320,000 mi. and still get around 16 to 19 mpg. To get something like 7-8 mpg sounds like there is something seriously amiss in the carburetion or ingition. Ofcourse, how the 150,000 mi. was put on, and the over-all condition of the engine must also be considered. When I bought my Ranger 18 years ago with 135,000 mi. and never did any thing but maintenance and still does not use oil and just keeps running. My point is...you may not need to rebuild, just because of what some consider high mileage.

Eric

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am having this problem that when I slow down or I am Idling my engine will just die. but when I hit the gas it stays running but it still sounds like the computer is trying to keep it running by cycling or something but it doesn't sound very good. it sounds like it is just about to die and then it picks up.

I don't like this very much because I am still learning to drive a stick and when the engine dies on a hill i freak out a little.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals