• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squawking Noise

Duane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Help, I have a 2000 Ranger 4cyl 5 speed that makes a loud squawking noise for 1-2 seconds on start-up especially on cold mornings. I replaced the Serpentine belt but no help. I wasn't sure about the throw-out bearing? There are no other symptoms and the truck runs fine otherwise. I found 2 TSB's #13844 and 8091 that describe cold start squawking. Anyone know what these TSB's are about or has anyone experienced this?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Did you check the idler and adjustment pulleys when you replaced the belt? Mine had a noise-at-starting symptom one time, which turned out to be one of the pulleys. Good luck with it, and welcome to TRS.

Duane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks, I pulled the idler pulley and cleaned it but not the tensioner pulley, it felt okay when I played with it when the belt was off? Thanks, Duane

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure that the tensioner arm is operating correctly and is not stuck? Check to make sure that you have sufficient tension on the belt. The tensioning arm on mine hasn't been tensioning anything for years, the pivot on the arm is so stiff that I just push it over until the tension on the belt feels 'right'. The arm will hold that position indefinitely. They are supposed to move freely, I should probably fix mine someday.

Duane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the tensioner has a free range of movement and plenty of tension. Thanks!

Young_unn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
5.0, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
lol my tensioner is still broken, it only springs back 3/4 of the way, so it squawks whenever i start. it took a good 15 minutes of me oiling and forcing it back and forth to get it that good.

after replacing the other pulleys and belts i didnt want to know how much it was going to cost me to get the tensioner,

btw how much is a new one lol

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
lol my tensioner is still broken, it only springs back 3/4 of the way, so it squawks whenever i start. it took a good 15 minutes of me oiling and forcing it back and forth to get it that good.

after replacing the other pulleys and belts i didnt want to know how much it was going to cost me to get the tensioner,

btw how much is a new one lol
should be about 50 bux from autozone

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Check your pulley alignment. I had the same problem. Turns out I had the wrong water pump. It shifted the pulley 1/8 out of alignment. those poly groove belts don'y like mis-alignment. I had to shim the pulley to make it stop.

jubangy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I replaced my tensioner this past August it came out to exactly 53.08 after tax. For something so simple they sure do make a mint off of it. But it was worth it as I was chasing the start up squeak and it also squeaked when I had the headlights and heater on but the belt always felt like there was decent tension, but apparently not so good under load.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals