• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Charging problem

rangerdave571

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 b2300 4 2.3 and the charging system stopped on me one day. I put a new alt in and it never charged so i thought it was a bad reman and got a new one that was tested at oreileys and it tested good. When I put it in the truck it never charged. I have a ground wire, voltage regulator, and a third clip that is just one wire. That third clip I have no idea what it is, but it is loose and wont click in place. 99% sure thats it so I'm going to just cut another one from a junked truck. Could it be anything else?

Any help is greatly appreciated

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
it could be a blown generator fuse, or a blown mega fuse

rangerdave571

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 2.3
Transmission
Manual
When it shut down on me it was like someone was flipping switches to shut the truck down. First the lights dimmed and one by one the gauges went and then the lights dimmed, but the truck kept running for a couple of miles and then the rpms dropped and the truck wouldn't go into any gears and just coasted to a stop. Would that be a fuse problem?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 96 b2300 4 2.3 and the charging system stopped on me one day. I put a new alt in and it never charged so i thought it was a bad reman and got a new one that was tested at oreileys and it tested good. When I put it in the truck it never charged. I have a ground wire, voltage regulator, and a third clip that is just one wire. That third clip I have no idea what it is, but it is loose and wont click in place. 99% sure thats it so I'm going to just cut another one from a junked truck. Could it be anything else?

Any help is greatly appreciated
I think we need more details. if you charged the battery would the truck run? Would the lights go on? would it crank over. how about a relayor for the pcm? Why did you think the alt was bad? did you check for codes?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When it shut down on me it was like someone was flipping switches to shut the truck down. First the lights dimmed and one by one the gauges went and then the lights dimmed, but the truck kept running for a couple of miles and then the rpms dropped and the truck wouldn't go into any gears and just coasted to a stop. Would that be a fuse problem?
Why wouldn't it go into gear? even if the engine dies you should be able to shift gears? is it a standeard?

rangerdave571

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 2.3
Transmission
Manual
If the battery is charged everything works perfectly fine except the battery drains and eventually dies on me. I used a jump box and with the jump box on the truck is fine but once the box is turned off the lights dim so I assumed it was the alternator. The old alternator had the back blown out of it somehow and a few bearings were missing. Yes its a standard but everytime I would shift it would rev up but not go any faster it would just slow down more. I put it in second to get an extra boost going about 30 and it just slowed down more.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the battery is charged everything works perfectly fine except the battery drains and eventually dies on me. I used a jump box and with the jump box on the truck is fine but once the box is turned off the lights dim so I assumed it was the alternator. The old alternator had the back blown out of it somehow and a few bearings were missing. Yes its a standard but everytime I would shift it would rev up but not go any faster it would just slow down more. I put it in second to get an extra boost going about 30 and it just slowed down more.
if the truck sit sover night with a full battery is it dead the next day? CODES?

rangerdave571

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 2.3
Transmission
Manual
It doesnt drain over night and its throwing no codes.

rangerdave571

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 2.3
Transmission
Manual
definitely just the alternator fuse. I'm a moron I apologize

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
definitely just the alternator fuse. I'm a moron I apologize
I am glad you got it fixed but for future users of this thread can you tell us exactly where the fuse you repalced was located. thanks

rangerdave571

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 2.3
Transmission
Manual
It was in the engine compartment fuse box. It is a 15 amp fuse. In the owners manual its called the Generator fuse.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals