• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Axle Noise/ Movement

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So, yesterday I was talking to a couple of friends leaning on my truck and I wiggled the truck by the bed and I heard a clunking noise. I did a it a few more times to narrow down the noise and found it was the axles/ rear end. So, I Jacked it up and took off the wheels/ drums. I found that the axle moves in and out (like you were going to take it out), but it doesn't move up/down/ side-side. So I am pretty sure my wheel bearings are just fine. I am just wondering if the in/ out movement is bad or if it is nothing to worry about. It only moves anough to hear it and kinda see the movement, maybe a 1/16th of an inch of movement. And, both sides do it, not just one side.

I know the axles are held in by "C" shaped clip and then a pin goes in and holds the "C" shaped clips in place or something like that. Or, at least that is how it was on the 94' (I think) Explorer that I work on in shop at school.

Thanks for any help!

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's normal. 1/16" of endplay is fine.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks guys, That's kinda what I was thinking. I was at my cousin's house at the time, and my uncle (has worked at a wrecking yard for over 25 years) said it was "no bueno" haha.

Kinda off topic, but what is it that makes some of the Explorer axles fall out while driving down the road? My dad drives a semi and has seen many Explorers on the side of the road with a wheel and axle sitting next to the rig (or gone).
I thought that play, might have something to do with that problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals