• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broke two outer tie rod rubber caps.

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya when I separated 'em with the pickle fork it pokes a hole in both. Figured I got the thing all apart and before I get it together and aligned miles well buy new ones. You can't just replace the rubber it is built in. The weird thing was I went to Cheackers and they had the left in stock the right they had to order it. Well they both are made by Mcquray Norris I think, and one had a built in boot and the other I had to put it one. Also one is black and the other one is grey. Probably made a good shoice to spend about $100 and fix 'em. Anyone know is Mcquray Norris good quality?

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't know the brands youre talking about...but....

I just replaced my OTRE's and had a hell of a time with the pickle fork. My recommendation: Next time take the nut off the bottom, and just smack the steering knuckle with a hammer. REAL HARD right where the TRE goes thru it. Because these are essentially a press fit, by hitting them with a hammer it usually shocks it all loose. No Pickle fork, no torn boots. You MAY need to use a little bit of pressure from the pickle fork...but so far I've never had to.

Good Luck

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The solution for this is .... don't use pickle forks to pop off tie rod ends.

I use a small Pitman arm puller. Works just fabulously, and doesn't damage cups at all. I paid $6 for it at Harbor Freight (less than a pickle fork!).

Now, since yours is broken, Help! and Energy Suspension both sell replacement cups. They aren't very expensive. Energy Suspension has them in pretty colors, and in polyurethane.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Now, since yours is broken, Help! and Energy Suspension both sell replacement cups..
as do several other companies. most auto parts stores have them in stock. i replace mine whenever they develop a hole.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know is Mcquray Norris good quality?
These guys make alot of parts for the old Datsuns that nobody makes anymore, and I've never had a problem with any of their parts. IIRC, the ball joints in my ranger were made by these guys too, but I could be wrong.

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
as do several other companies. most auto parts stores have them in stock. i replace mine whenever they develop a hole.
The stock caps were built into the tie rod itself there was no way of just replacing the cap.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've not seen an RBV TRE that does that, but if you really think so, replace both the TREs. They aren't very expensive.

reddog5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had MOOG tierod ends that had replaceable rubber bots and zerk fittings as well.

Theese put an end to bent/ broken tie rods.

Attachments

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had MOOG tierod ends that had replaceable rubber bots and zerk fittings as well.

Theese put an end to bent/ broken tie rods.
Those are some stout tie rods. :eek:

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think the TRE for my truck were like $20 each...not too bad. I usually just loosen the nut and give it a good whack. My pickle fork seems to destroy everything it comes in contact with....or it might just me and my BFH getting pissed off.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I like to use a small Pitman arm puller to pop out TREs. Doesn't do a thing to the grease cups.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you guys are making it more complicated than it really is. The tie rods aren't interference fit, so there's no need to press them off. What I've always done, even on rusted out old POS's that have had the same tie rod on for 20 years, is take the castle nut off, turn it upside down, and thread it about 3/4 back on. One or two taps from a hammer will get it off. No damage to the nut or tie rod, and no stupid puller to fool around with. It's that easy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals