• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

switching over to the darkside

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
After driving my little duratec for awhile I decided its time for some change. So this week I'am picking up a new vehicle to add to my collection, now don't panic people FORD is still number one. I'am getting a 96' 12V 4X4 with 120k on the clock with a fresh tranny for $5000.

Now heres where you guys come in. Whats a reliable lift 6"+ for this vehicle, I want to fit 37s or 38s? What gearing would be required for decent mileage? Eventually I want to throw in a twin turbo, Super B offers twin turbo kits for decent money but does that necessarily mean that they are quality? Would a twin turbo system spoil a 300k rebuild and do stupid damage to the tranny?

Thanks Gentlemen, your time is appreciated

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
v12? or V10

my brothers v-10 dually/ mine is a 1998 ram 1500. I don't know of a v-12 for ram?

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
*2nd generation cummins turbo diesel

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
wow I guess I really am on a pure ford enthusiast site

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't answer your question, but the 96 cummins I had was my favorite truck out of all of em, with the exception of the BII.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
After driving my little duratec for awhile I decided its time for some change. So this week I'am picking up a new vehicle to add to my collection, now don't panic people FORD is still number one. I'am getting a 96' 12V 4X4 with 120k on the clock with a fresh tranny for $5000.

Now heres where you guys come in. Whats a reliable lift 6"+ for this vehicle, I want to fit 37s or 38s? What gearing would be required for decent mileage? Eventually I want to throw in a twin turbo, Super B offers twin turbo kits for decent money but does that necessarily mean that they are quality? Would a twin turbo system spoil a 300k rebuild and do stupid damage to the tranny?

Thanks Gentlemen, your time is appreciated
So your replacing a brand new ranger with a 14 year old dodge? Furthermore its the Dodge Gen most known for transmission problems. This rediculous post made me break my silence! Good luck getting even 50K miles on that FRESH tranny. I feel that your not being truthful or leaving out information. Is the 2008 getting repo'd?

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
So your replacing a brand new ranger with a 14 year old dodge? Furthermore its the Dodge Gen most known for transmission problems. This rediculous post made me break my silence! Good luck getting even 50K miles on that FRESH tranny. I feel that your not being truthful or leaving out information. Is the 2008 getting repo'd?
Wouldn't this classify you as a dousche for saying some dumb shit like this on a forum, you don't know me so don't approach me with some shit you have no clue about. I have no problem affording the truck, I'am just ready to get into something that I can take where the jeeps go instead of just the paved trail. I want to tow the trailor out to the dunes for the weekend instead of riding the legal trails or the compound. The guy who owns it now is a 50 year old man who has done meticulous maintenance and is ready to get a new cummins probably is selling the old one for a down payment.

Now that I told you about the missing part of the story you want to answer my question or did I just waste my time telling you off and you know nothing?

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 1500 that I ran a skyjacker 4.5" lift kit it was made for the 2500 cummins. The lifts for a 2500 are the same as the 1500 but heavier parts. check skyjacker out

I am 100% a ram guy I will argue with anyone about the trucks I am on my 3rd one 2nd cummins you will like the 12v tons of power. the tranny you just need to remeber not to leave it run in park and do trans flushes and filter changes. I changed a tranny on my 01 2500 but that was due to putting it in to much water.

good luck enjoy

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What diesel doesnt have tranny problems when you crank them up? All i had on my diesel was the edge evolution programmer set at 100hp 200tq, second gear got ripped completely out of the truck to where it was shifting from 1st straight to 3rd and when it went out, i was just barely moving taking off from a stop sign not even spooling. Mine went out at 114k miles(i also had added a BD shift enhancer to up my line pressure for a firmer shift), but i was told by the shop that 01 was a bad year for the 7.3 autos because quote unquote "they put expriemental parts in them to try and lengthen the life" which didnt seem to work and they said to upgrade the tranny they put parts in for 99 7.3s, i also had them put heavier bands, and a triple disc torque converter in to help it out some, now it will set you back in the seat when it shifts. Back to your question, dont forget about the dodge death wobble issues when you go to lift the truck. If you took it easy and didnt romp on it balls to the walls all the time, i wouldnt see why it wouldnt last you quite a long time. I know they have problems with the injection pumps($1500 part if i remember correctly). Just be wise in the decisions you make with the truck and how you drive it and it should last you a long time.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well, the only reason that gen of Dodge had the tranny problems was due to a breather hose pointing the wrong way. I know, sounds dumb, but Chrysler kept getting complaints of their diesel trucks leaking out on to people's driveways when they were brand new... I can't remember which breather it was though. SO, they got the bright idea to move the breather so it would spit out the front... well it would get blown around by the fan and plug the tranny cooler. GENIUS! Then the tranny would overheat. If you simply get this reversed back to the way it was before and don't mind a tiny amount of fluid on your driveway once in a blue moon, then you're well on your way.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
how many valves per cylinder a 12v has?
i ask cuz math says 1.5 valves, they have a special valve train or something? im assuming its a v8 with 12 valves.

and @matt: lol

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
thanks @redjosh

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
cummins are inline 6

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals